Moparts

Steering gear box leaking from the top?

Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Steering gear box leaking from the top? - 05/08/16 01:41 AM

OK, I'm convinced my car just wants to be garage art. My new problem is the steering gear box is leaking fluid like crazy. It looks to be coming from the top plate.
I've never had one of these apart. Is it as easy as taking the top plate off and replacing some o rings? Any articles on this that you know of? Thanks in advance
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Steering gear box leaking from the top? - 05/08/16 01:58 AM

Assuming you mean the part that the hoses go into - yes - there are o-rings and seals; BUT - there is a valve that works with that fitting to direct the flow of fluid pressure to power pistons in the steering box. Once you replace the seals you have to adjust the position of the top plate on the box so the box doesn't self-steer. Basically replace the seals, bolt it back on and leave it just loose enough that you can tap it with a hammer to adjust it while it is running.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Steering gear box leaking from the top? - 05/08/16 02:20 AM

I would measure the exact front/rear clocking of the plate so you could return it to that exact position as close as you can then when done get the front wheels jacked up/off the ground and centered straight ahead/eng idling: you want the PS assist to not pull the wheels to either side
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Steering gear box leaking from the top? - 05/08/16 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
I would measure the exact front/rear clocking of the plate so you could return it to that exact position as close as you can then when done get the front wheels jacked up/off the ground and centered straight ahead/eng idling: you want the PS assist to not pull the wheels to either side

apply grease around the edges of the valve body. after replacing the O rings just put it back in the grease outline.
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: Steering gear box leaking from the top? - 05/08/16 03:16 AM

Thanks guys, if I'm seeing this correct. There are just 3 o rings that seal the top plate? I really don't want to have to order a whole seal kit for just this.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Steering gear box leaking from the top? - 05/08/16 04:23 AM

Tim I ain't up on the innards of em but the guys here know whats what
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Steering gear box leaking from the top? - 05/08/16 07:03 AM

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mopar+steering+box+rebuild
© 2024 Moparts Forums