Moparts

Valve Covers

Posted By: GTXKARL

Valve Covers - 05/07/16 07:15 PM

Hi. I would like to know any estimate of how much it would cost to get two valve covers sandblasted and powdercoated for my 440 engine? I have chrome on them now. They have taken quite a beating. Thanks. spank
Posted By: Neil

Re: Valve Covers - 05/07/16 07:36 PM

Years ago I tried having a set of older Mopar Performance chrome valve covers sandblasted so I could paint them orange and the guy said the air pressure needed to remove the chrome would wreck the valve covers. He said the best bet would be to just put a powder coat primer right over the chrome and then paint over that.

Figure $65.00 or so to have a set of valve covers powder coated.
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: Valve Covers - 05/07/16 10:47 PM

I attempted to sandblast chrome from a set of valve covers, just too much work and time.
I took them to a chrome plater and he was able to strip the chrome and underlaying plating at a reasonable cost.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Valve Covers - 05/07/16 10:53 PM

It would be cheaper to buy a pair and repaint them rather than strip chrome
Posted By: therocks

Re: Valve Covers - 05/08/16 02:06 AM

BS had Moroso chrome on my 440.Blasted them in my cheap Harbor freight blaster.then my kid powder coated them.He has the small eastwood powder kit.You dont need to take all the chrome off.They still looked good 4 years later when i took them off because I wanted to change colors.Also die my chrome air cleaner stat housing and alt plate.All were chromed and have been on for at least 10 years.Rocky
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Valve Covers - 05/08/16 02:28 AM

I couldn't find any valve covers that I liked so I had a local machine shop make a set out of solid blocks of aluminum.

Attached picture DSC_9617 (Large).JPG
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Valve Covers - 05/08/16 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
I couldn't find any valve covers that I liked so I had a local machine shop make a set out of solid blocks of aluminum.

Wow, those look awesome, what did they charge you?
© 2024 Moparts Forums