Moparts

727 Output shaft support fit in trans

Posted By: SlickRS23

727 Output shaft support fit in trans - 04/27/16 08:18 PM

Hello,
After I installed a 4 bolt, bolt-in sprag in my '69 727trans, I went to press in the output shaft support and it slid right in.
I can turn it by hand. It does not seem to wiggle in the bore, just a real smooth slip fit.
I purchased this from a trans parts supplier as a "good used part"
I'm thinking it should be O.K. as the bolts for the sprag would be holding it in place, or should I look for another support?
This is for a street car that will never be raced.
Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 727 Output shaft support fit in trans - 04/27/16 08:26 PM

First off if you bought a GOOD USED PART from auto trans supplier that is a BOLT IN Sprag , what you purchased is a replacement part to fix a sprag that spun in the case , which rarely happens.

Bolt it tight to the case, tighten the set screw and restake the case around it and it will hold pretty much like it did when new ... but it won't spin again ...

What was your reason for buying this part ?
Posted By: SlickRS23

Re: 727 Output shaft support fit in trans - 04/27/16 08:52 PM

Thanks JohnRR,
My original sprag was slightly loose in the case, so I replaced it with a bolt-in. That installed very nice and tight.
What I was referring to is the output shaft support.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 727 Output shaft support fit in trans - 04/27/16 08:59 PM

In '71 the factory revised the fit of the output shaft support from press-fit to slip-fit. If you have a '71 or later support (fully interchangeable with '66-'70 supports) it should be a slip-fit.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 727 Output shaft support fit in trans - 04/28/16 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By SlickRS23

Thanks JohnRR,
My original sprag was slightly loose in the case, so I replaced it with a bolt-in. That installed very nice and tight.
What I was referring to is the output shaft support.

I wasn't really sure what part you were talking about but ... what John K said ....

What is the number that is cast onto the support ?
© 2024 Moparts Forums