Moparts

Edelbrock Performer Carburetor Secondary Main Question

Posted By: duckblind

Edelbrock Performer Carburetor Secondary Main Question - 04/12/16 09:42 PM

I am trying to determine if my edelbrock performer carb is plugged up. I have broken in my engine finally so was able to actually step on the gas pedal a good bit to see how the engine would perform after the rebuild. When I stepped on it the car did ok but it didn’t seem like the engine was getting enough gas. My main question is….when the engine is not running, should I be able to see gas flow out of the top jets in the 3rd and 4th barrel? I did not see any when I pushed the throttle all the way back. I believe I read that the little butterfly valves had to be all the way open for gas to flow out so I opened them with a screwdriver and pushed the throttle back and still did not see gas.

Thanks for any opinion.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Edelbrock Performer Carburetor Secondary Main Question - 04/12/16 10:10 PM

No you will not see gas in the secondaries without the engine running. Gas only flows out of there when the engine is running and the throttle is open far enough to allow the vacuum of the engine to draw fuel.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Edelbrock Performer Carburetor Secondary Main Question - 04/12/16 10:46 PM

Engine needs to be running and under load.
If you have an old cell phone or one you don't care about much, you could tape it to the bottom of the hood above the carb (with filter off) and video the carb while driving and going WOT?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Edelbrock Performer Carburetor Secondary Main Question - 04/12/16 10:49 PM

Edelbrock has an owners manual that does a pretty good job explaining things.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/misc/tech-center/dl/carb-owners-manual.pdf
© 2024 Moparts Forums