Moparts

cylinder head removal in car, e-body, w/headers ???

Posted By: cocamcuda

cylinder head removal in car, e-body, w/headers ??? - 03/30/16 05:37 AM

I have a 70 cuda 440,i am wanting to swap cylinder heads,i have 2 inch primary tube, hooker headers on engine, there doesn't seem to be much wiggle room between headers and inner fenders to move them out of the way to access the head bolts for removal.has anyone done this,or do I need to drop the engine & k- frame out the bottom of car for easier access.i don't want to scratch plum crazy paint on inner fenders moving headers around. thanks jim
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: cylinder head removal in car, e-body, w/headers ??? - 03/30/16 05:47 AM

No Cuda exp but I would try & see how far it appears the headers need to move sideways to access the outer bolts & see if looks like the headers have room to move out that distance. Definitely grab some blankets which is gonna decrease that distance. in the middle of it if it appears a no go then disciple yourself to go back together then on to plan B
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: cylinder head removal in car, e-body, w/headers ??? - 03/30/16 06:56 AM

If you unbolt the engine mounts and lift the engine some, the headers should come out no problem....this is less work, than dropping the whole subframe.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: cylinder head removal in car, e-body, w/headers ??? - 03/30/16 11:02 AM

I have found low stick masking tape helpful and splattered all about on inner fender and other delicate surfaces. Used this when swapping out steering box, only could remove it topside after too removing battery and its box. Extremely tight fit with my headers. Not a scratch.

However did drop engine on Challenger big block when changing heads last year,,,2 inch TTI's look a bit too foreboding for my taste.
Posted By: ahy

Re: cylinder head removal in car, e-body, w/headers ??? - 03/30/16 01:07 PM

I've done it with 1 7/8" TTI's on a low deck. Your situation is a bit tighter but I think it will work if you are using header bolts (not studs). Disconnect the collector end, protect the fender liners and use some light bungies to hold them out of the way. I would think the heads will lift out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums