Moparts

want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers

Posted By: jbcuda

want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/02/09 07:52 PM

my front and back bumpers have the big ugly black rubber on them and i like the look of 1970-71 any suggestions would i have to buy all new brackets
Posted By: Challenger_Nut

Re: want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/02/09 07:54 PM

Yes, That would be the easiest way. You can take the black extensions off but you need the brackets to pull the bumpers tight to the body.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/02/09 08:24 PM

AND different bumpers
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/02/09 08:56 PM

Us Mopar guys are lucky; by 1974 all the GM stuff had huge ugly 5mph bumpers whereas visually the Mopars made out much better other than the big blocky bumperettes.

My advice is to just remove the bumperettes and leave the rest alone: it looks fine IMO

Dave
Posted By: jbcuda

Re: want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/02/09 09:08 PM

that looks good enough for me
wouldnt happen to have pic of rear

Re: want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/02/09 09:17 PM

No that one isn't mine; mine still has the ugly rubber pces;

Dave

Re: want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/02/09 09:22 PM

Just remember; It could always be worse!!

Dave
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/02/09 09:34 PM

I haven't seen I Camaro like that in ages, I thought it was an AMC Matador or Ambassador.
Posted By: burdar

Re: want to change 74 cuda front and back bumpers - 02/03/09 05:55 PM

There is a post on this in the "restoration" section. Do a search for it. Someone showed pictures of how he modified his front bumper brackets. It was as easy as drilling out one hole. The rear is a little more difficult. Either buy 70-71 rear bumper brackets or you have to cut and weld the existing brackets to work. Also check out the "member projects" section. There are some great pics of bumpers that have been moved in. Personally I like the look of the rubber bumpers. What I'm going to do is move the bumpers in next to the body, but keep the rubber extensions.
© 2024 Moparts Forums