Moparts

Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ?

Posted By: TheTieWrapKid

Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/26/16 05:58 PM

I could use help identifying this little box with wires attached on the upper firewall of a 71 Challenger. It's on passenger side has mopar emblem and 3656 078 1602 on it. I hope I got the pic on here.

Attached picture IMG_0351.JPG
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/26/16 06:21 PM

NOX...emissions
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/26/16 07:28 PM

Yep - it's part of the NOX system that came on some cars

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/26/16 08:34 PM

It's extra weight. I could get rid of it. Shine it up and sell it for big bucks! Thanks.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/26/16 11:10 PM

It measures the air temperature in the cowl and sends the info to a controller that retards the spark under certain conditions.

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/27/16 04:11 AM

John -I thought your were BS-ing me. I bought the car from California. There is info in my shop manual under Cleaner Air System for California cars using thermal switch, vacuum switch, control module, solenoid vacuum valve. I never looked in this section before. Thanks, I'm learning once in a while ! The other pieces of the system are long gone, as well as the 318 that was in there originally. The plan will still probably be to get rid of this last piece of the NOX system. Very good.

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/27/16 07:29 PM

One part of that NOX package is a speed switch mounted on the trans speedo connection, it provides a ground at 40 MPH....useful for OD conversions and other mods that are speed related.

Attached picture SpSensor3438494.jpg

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/27/16 08:58 PM

Good information! That will be long gone on my car with any small block stuff that was original. It's a 440 car these days which is how I bought it. I was wondering about creative uses for some of the pieces in the NOX system. The temp switch might come in handy to keep a car running right, idling right , etc.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/28/16 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

One part of that NOX package is a speed switch mounted on the trans speedo connection, it provides a ground at 40 MPH....useful for OD conversions and other mods that are speed related.

john, it's hard to tell from the pic [my old eyes], but is that the 7/8"x20 [?] speedometer cable thread on both ends ? what years were those used and do you have a part # ? also, are there other applications in other years and makes that uses a similar part ?
beer
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/28/16 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By moparx

john, it's hard to tell from the pic [my old eyes], but is that the 7/8"x20 [?] speedometer cable thread on both ends ? what years were those used and do you have a part # ? also, are there other applications in other years and makes that uses a similar part ?
beer

I've got one laying around I can measure the thread (and look for a part number on) if John doesn't chime in, but imagine he might before I get out to the garage this morning. laugh2

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/28/16 09:51 PM

Yep, standard speedo threads at each end. I believe these were used in '71 and '72 only on cars with the NOX reduction package.

P/N is 3438494
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/29/16 02:30 AM

Yep, standard speedo threads at each end. I believe these were used in '71 and '72 only on cars with the NOX deduction package.

P/N is 3438494

Had a 71 Imperial that had that on it

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/29/16 02:41 PM

thanks john ! up now i can search for one. [seems i need another project just to make sure the ones i have don't get done !]
beer

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/30/16 12:40 AM

thanks john ! up now i can search for one...

whistling

Attached picture 20160329_153338_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20160329_153350_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20160329_153427_resized.jpg

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/30/16 02:44 PM

oz, what kind of wrench does your gizmo take at the transmission end ? it looks odd shaped, like you need a spanner type to tighten it to the speedometer gear housing ? or maybe it's my eyesight again ?
beer

Re: Anyone know what this gadget is - 71 Challenger ? - 03/30/16 04:54 PM

Just the angle of the picture, it is just a normal hex. up
© 2024 Moparts Forums