Moparts

Tires where can I buy old sizes?

Posted By: bfury

Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 03:47 AM

It's time to replace the tires on my Duster. I have 185/75R14 on the front and 275/60R15 on the rear. Firestone Fire Hawks. I want to go to a taller 15" in the front. I don't seem to be able to find the 275 in 15". I would like RWL if I can get them. Coker and Firestone no help. Any suggestions? It would be nice to go online and see sizes available in a model of tire. All the sites want to choose car make/model or specific tire size. Not user friendly if you want to compare diameters, width etc.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 04:04 AM

275 is wide for a front, I run a 14" rim on the front with a tall 215/75/14 it's about 26" dia.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 05:32 AM

Is B F Goodrich still making tires? They were among the first to come up with RWL tires.

As for a tire search, I believe I would see what was available for a 1987-2007 Dakota. Different years should net more choices, the door tag on my 93 Dakota gives me 4 different tire sizes available, and newer Dakotas had bigger, wider tires.

Then, have the tires mounted and balanced on the wheels, and take them home to install on your car. The tire store insurance companies won't let them install any tires that were not originally an option on the car.

Its only going to get worse! No one (insurance companies, car manufacturers, government, tree huger, and most of the general population) except old car fans want to see old cars on the road. They can't outlaw your old car, but if they eliminate available parts, the old cars will disappear. Goal accomplished. Gene
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 05:38 AM

BFG still has the T/A in 14" and 15" sizes in various aspect ratios. (I just shipped about 90 of them to Oz)

Coker is also reproducing a couple of the 50 series BFG's as well (but in blackwall only)

As mentioned, a 275 is a bit too large for a front..but you can get various 225, 235, 245 and 255 in a 60 series 15", along with a few of the narrower sizes in a T/A in a 70 series from memory too (would have to check on that though)

You can look on Summit, tirerack, etc for the various sizes.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 02:00 PM

my buddy finished up a 72 duster for his wife last year. he wanted rwl and at that time, i could only find a couple manufacturers that did those. bfg radial ta's and cooper cobras. there was another, but i forget. anyway, he used a 15x7 wheel on the front with a 4"bs, and the biggest tire we could use at his ride height in the bfg was a 205-60. if i recall, it was around 25" & change & 6"tread width. it was real close to the front of the fender opening at the bottom at one point in it's turning arc. that size filled the opening nicely. another size option would be a 205-70x15.
beer
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 03:08 PM

M/T has a few with raised white letter.

https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanST
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 04:25 PM

Firestone doesn't make the Firehawks anymore so you're SOL there.

You might try using Summit's search and compare feature to look at tires.

BFG is still an available choice. Others are MT-SR, Mastercraft Avenger, Hankook Ventus, Cooper Cobra, a couple of Nitto versions, Hoosier...there are still some 15" tires out there although most will be S or T rated cruisers or drag tires.
Posted By: wannadrag

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 05:56 PM

Ebay has many choices for bf goodrich and cooper cobras in 14" and 15"
Just bought 4 14" cooper cobras for under $400 shipped.
Posted By: bfury

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 08:09 PM

The Duster is setup prostreet style with the 275 on the rear and the 185 on the front. In the day we ran Thx all.L60 on the rear and 5.60-15 on the front. That's the look I want but RWL would have to be Goodyear or Firestone. Looks like I will have to go blackwall. Thx all.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 09:11 PM

I am currently in the market for replacing my existing Indy 500's with another set of the 500's but I have not found them for sale.
I was assuming that they were no longer being made but I found a sample today. So maybe in the near future?

Attached picture Indy 500 2.JPG
Attached picture Indy 500 3.JPG
Posted By: kenz

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/23/16 09:19 PM

I just bought a set of Cooper Cobra GT's from Summit. They have as good a selection as BFG and I like the tread pattern better.

I ordered them mounted and balanced on a set of Cragar SS's. Great deal if you're looking for tires and wheels.

215/65-15 on 15x7
255/60-15 on 15x8

Thanks,
ken
Posted By: Mebsuta

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/24/16 01:46 AM

I find 60 series RWL tires at Pep Boys sometimes; Futura Super Sport GLS, probably made by Cooper.

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/25/16 04:27 AM

Mastercraft was a brand also sold by pep or farm and fleet

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/25/16 04:29 AM

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Passenger/Avenger-GT.aspx
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/25/16 05:35 PM

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T%2FA&partnum=76SR5RADTARWL2V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Posted By: topside

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/25/16 10:05 PM

Look up Cooper tires and see if they have something in the Starfire line. I'm surprised to read here that the Firestone Indy500 tire is hard to find, but maybe they don't sell enough. There's a way to get tire dimensions on tirerack.com & discounttiredirect.com, but I don't recall how I got there.
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/26/16 12:32 AM

I just order and got a set of 225 15 and 275 60 15 from summit in the BFG TA for my 71 Challenger
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/26/16 04:01 PM

"The Avenger G/T is a cosmetic performance tire"

No fecal matter sherlock.

MasterCraft are about the crappiest tire I ever had the displeasure of driving on. I will pass up any vehicle with MasterCrap tires on them as it is obvious the owner is into "cheap as possible" probably still running factory oil fill with 50k miles too..
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Tires where can I buy old sizes? - 03/26/16 05:32 PM

All 15" RWL tires are going to be cosmetic performance tires these days. There are some good drag tires out there in 15", but the closest thing to actual all around performance tires would be the MT SR with a H speed rating, Nitto 505 with a W rating, and the Avon CR6ZZ z rated tire.

I"m surprised to see a Firehawk with a recent date code. All the info I had on them was that they were discontinued. Perhaps Coker or Diamond Back are repopping them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums