Moparts

lead substitute???

Posted By: plymguy

lead substitute??? - 02/02/09 02:14 AM

As some of you may remember, I had fuel pump trouble with my '67 Fury hardtop with the 318 engine back in December. I replaced the pump with a new one and it has been fine. The pump that was on the car looked fairly new but it was on the car when I bought it a year ago so I do not know how old it really was. I was using the CD-2 lead subtitute as directed in the fuel tank for valve seat protection because it is the original engine. Could that have messed up the pump and caused it to fail? Thanks for any info.
John
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: lead substitute??? - 02/02/09 02:16 AM

I have run lead additive quite a bit without problems.
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: lead substitute??? - 02/02/09 04:14 AM

more than likely it was the gas that ate the rubber diaphram in the pump. ca had all kinds of problems with the reformulated gas they had a few years ago.
Posted By: Cuda_Mike

Re: lead substitute??? - 02/02/09 06:54 PM

I've been using CD-2 in 2 different cars for 15 years with no fuel pump failures.
Posted By: BHuey

Re: lead substitute??? - 02/07/09 09:12 PM

Where can I get CD-2 or any other lead substitute, I'm having a tough time finding it ?
Any chain stores like NAPA or Pet Boys carry it ?
Thanks
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: lead substitute??? - 02/07/09 09:38 PM

around here Walmart has it.
Posted By: plymguy

Re: lead substitute??? - 02/07/09 10:26 PM

Yes, That is where I get my CD-2. Wal-Mart.
John
Posted By: BHuey

Re: lead substitute??? - 02/08/09 01:28 PM

OK thanks to all, I'll try the local Wal Mart
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: lead substitute??? - 02/10/09 06:37 PM

Ethanol in gasoline will destroy old gaskets and seals. As far as a lead substitute, remember that one of the purposes of the lead was actuallu to lubricate the valves. I have used one ounce of type A ATF per ten gallons of unleaded fuel for many years in my old cars. I got the advice from a column that Don Garlits used to write in the Detroit News back in the 70's or 80's.
© 2024 Moparts Forums