Moparts

E Body speedometer needle

Posted By: Old School

E Body speedometer needle - 03/13/16 09:02 PM

The speedo needle broke on one of my 70 cudas. I see you can buy a new one. anyone ever chance one? any tips?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 03/13/16 10:36 PM

It's a simple push on/pull off on the speedo pin, but a very delicate touch is needed as the needles are very thin in thickness and distort/break easily, try and grasp the speedo pin under the needle with thin needle nose pliers as you wiggle the needle off, and push the new one on.

mike
Posted By: Old School

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 03/13/16 11:20 PM

Thanks Mike! So I do not need to remove the spedo from the car?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 03/13/16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By Old School

You can do it "in car", you'll need to remove most of the dash/instrument fascia panels to get down to the clear plastic lens for removal,the speedo can stay in the cluster, a pair of thin needle nose pliers with a 90 degree turn to the tips will help in holding the speedo pin stem steady while R&R'ing of the needle
Posted By: second 70

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 03/14/16 12:33 AM

most times when the needle breaks it's because it hits the stop due to a plastic gear being cracked. If the gear is cracked it will slip over 60mph and break the new needle too.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 03/15/16 03:52 PM

Mine broke 38 years ago. None of the gears or anything else in the chain were cracked or damaged. Just the pointer broken. Drove it 20+ years that way with the pointer still on the bottom of the speedo.
Finally opened it up to repair the trip odometer and while it was open I repaired it by super gluing a small strand of copper wire in the v channel of the pointer joining it up. I painted it with Coast Guard Orange model paint. Has been 5 years since the repair and it is still holding up.
The damage can also be caused by a foreign object getting into the magnetic drive at the rear of the speedometer.
Craig
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 03/15/16 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By denfireguy
Mine broke 38 years ago. None of the gears or anything else in the chain were cracked or damaged. Just the pointer broken. Drove it 20+ years that way with the pointer still on the bottom of the speedo.
Finally opened it up to repair the trip odometer and while it was open I repaired it by super gluing a small strand of copper wire in the v channel of the pointer joining it up. I painted it with Coast Guard Orange model paint. Has been 5 years since the repair and it is still holding up.
The damage can also be caused by a foreign object getting into the magnetic drive at the rear of the speedometer.
Craig

Interesting. I fixed one the same way many years ago but instead of copper wire I went to fabric store and bought the smallest size sewing machine needle they make. Extremely thin/stiff/light.

Superglue and Testor's fluorescent orange paint. Worked fine
Posted By: MONC

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 06/12/19 01:35 PM

Good info.
So who sells the speedo needle now?
Couldn't seem to find one doing an internet search.
Posted By: rss

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 06/28/19 02:54 AM

Here's one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/i/254200599536?chn=ps

I recently repaired mine following an earlier post from several years back by Pacnorthcuda. Many thanks up
Posted By: rss

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 06/28/19 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by Old School

You can do it "in car", you'll need to remove most of the dash/instrument fascia panels to get down to the clear plastic lens for removal,the speedo can stay in the cluster, a pair of thin needle nose pliers with a 90 degree turn to the tips will help in holding the speedo pin stem steady while R&R'ing of the needle

This may be possible, but there is enough disassembly required to get to the point of being able to remove the clear plastic lens that you might as well make it easy on yourself and just pull the entire gauge cluster out so that you can work on the thing on a bench or table "like a gentleman".
Posted By: MONC

Re: E Body speedometer needle - 06/28/19 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by rss
Here's one on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/i/254200599536?chn=ps

I recently repaired mine following an earlier post from several years back by Pacnorthcuda. Many thanks up

Thanks for the link RSS up
© 2024 Moparts Forums