Moparts

can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks *DELETED*

Posted By: westfort

can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks *DELETED* - 02/01/09 09:51 PM

Post deleted by westfort
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/01/09 09:53 PM

Quote:

just wondering if anyone has tried useing oxygen tanks as a source of clean air to paint a car wondering if it would be a sure way yo prevent contaminats
al

My God that would be dangerous!
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/01/09 09:54 PM

While you may be able to get the gun to work with it, think about what you are doing, spraying an atomized flamable substance (paint, thinners, etc...) with pure oxygen; this is a recipe for distaster...

Now, nitrogen or some inert gas may work, but with modern HVLP guns you need so much air it is not practical for anything but a small job.
Posted By: last426

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/01/09 10:13 PM

Use a SCUBA tank, much cheaper and more volume. And safe -- it's only air. Kim
Posted By: GoDartGo

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/01/09 10:47 PM

I'm sure you can, but no mtter what color you chose it might end up looking like BURNT ORANGE
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/01/09 11:35 PM

Pure oxygen and oil are an explosive mix. Bad idea.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 12:31 AM

Quote:

just wondering if anyone has tried useing oxygen tanks as a source of clean air to paint a car

If they have, they probably aren't around anymore to tell us how it worked.

As mentioned, this is not a good idea. Please do not try it.
Posted By: 41hemi

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 12:49 AM

Oxygen + fuel(paint) = BOOM
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 01:11 AM

The was a small explosion in Canada today..Film @ 11

Attached picture 4993018-3220638-nuke.jpg
Posted By: RTDaddy

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 01:54 AM

"Hey, Ya'll WATCH THIS!"

Not a good idea.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 02:24 AM

westfort, gotta ask; how old are you and have you ever painted a car?
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 02:55 AM

Seriously, with no ignition source, why would it be any more dangerous ? So assuming you eliminate any source of ignition. I would guess you would run out of air......I guess a better situation than when scuba diving, but paint is expensive......
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 03:24 AM

Quote:

Seriously, with no ignition source, why would it be any more dangerous ? So assuming you eliminate any source of ignition. I would guess you would run out of air......I guess a better situation than when scuba diving, but paint is expensive......

Are you joking, son? Oxygen can be one of the most dangerous gases on the planet in pure form, mostly because people "don't think" Pure oxygen causes ANY possible combustible mixture situation to be more dangerous, because it's more concentrated. ANY oxygen added to any flame instantly causes a massive flare-up and accellerated burning.

Oxygen can self ignite with some substances-- (spontaneous) which is why you NEVER use oxygen around oil, or allow it in the fittings or hoses, etc.

When you have time, look up our NASA history, the incident where a spacecraft burned during a ground test. Part of that problem is that they were using a PURE OXYGEN atmosphere, and some spark.....somewhere......

http://history.nasa.gov/Apollo204/
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 03:42 AM

why not try it with hydrogen instead..

actully you could use compressed air..lots of welding supply company have it, its used in the air craft industry..
Posted By: Stanton

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 03:43 AM

Go ahead, you'll be one of this year's Darwin Award recipients !!!

Posted By: rowin4

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 03:48 AM

Maybe if you paint out side you might be ok, years ago i seen a guy use 20lb. propane tanks to spray a car, and yes they were filled with propane. It was outside and yes we did think he was crazy, actually he did two more that i know of and the job was not bad. He did die at a early age, years after the propane deals, i don't think our suppose to breath propane.

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 01:34 PM

Quote:

Maybe if you paint out side you might be ok

Oh, yeah sure, that'll help !!!!! Notice he's saying "maybe" and "might" here, meaning he really doesn't know. Just the sort of advice you need in a life threatening situation.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 02:08 PM

sure, in a perfect world, you can eliminate all spark sources, and paint with straith O2 as your propelant. Wake up man! ever hear of STATIC ELECTRICITY? all it takes is 1 spark from static and BOOM! all it takes is one spark from something plugged into the wall, a light bulb in your shop to blow, trip a breaker on your circuit panel, heck, even flipping a switch can create a spark as electricity jumps the gap just before the switch makes contact.

don't use O2. now, if you meant SCUBA gear, then that's fine. SCUBA is just straight air, 78% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen and the rest is junk--CO2, and other miscelaneous stuff. SCUBA gear is no different than what your air compressor would be putting out.

Perhaps that's what you meant, and mistakenlly called it "O2 tanks" which is pure O2, typically only found onboard aircraft, and in medical applications. and in some cases, SCUBA when the diver plans on doing a deep dive and wants to denitrogenate themselves so that when they come back up, the nitrogen won't boil out of their blood as they depressurize from the depths.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 03:57 PM

Quote:

just wondering if anyone has tried useing oxygen tanks as a source of clean air to paint a car wondering if it would be a sure way yo prevent contaminats
al

NOT ME
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 04:03 PM

This is an absolutely absurd idea! LISTEN to the advice given above. If you decide to go against their advice, prepare your family for existance without you...SERIOUSLY! Like said above, use an inert gas if you're hellbent on using a bottled air source. BTW, doesn't painting outdoors defeat the purpose???
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 04:26 PM

Quote:

al

Most of your contaminants will be on the car itself or in the area you're working - waiting to be stirred up by the gun, so a 'perfectly-clean' compressed air source is not a guarantee to eliminate the problem.

Your idea was definitely outside the box, though. It's too bad that you had to endure some ridicule from some of the other members, but that's moparts for ya...
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 05:32 PM

Even if this idea wasn't extremely dangerous, WHICH IT IS, the tanks wouldn't work because they wouldn't supply a steady volume of air. The pressure would be high at first, and as the tank got low the pressure would drop, changing what was happening at the paint gun. You would be trying to paint, trying to keep the gun adjusted, and have to switch to a fresh tank in the middle of a coat. It's just not done this way, period. You need to rent or buy a compressor, get a book or video on painting cars, and ask a lot more questions here. As far as contaminents in the paint, well welcome to the painter's world, even the best of us get them under ideal conditions. Learn to paint first, and trust me.......contaminents will be one of your last worries!

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 07:24 PM

Quote:

the tanks wouldn't work because they wouldn't supply a steady volume of air. The pressure would be high at first, and as the tank got low the pressure would drop, changing what was happening at the paint gun.

Ever heard of a R-E-G-U-L-A-T-O-R ?? Its a strange little gizmo that goes on my welding tanks (one of which is oxygen) and maintains a CONSTANT output pressure. Come to think of it, scuba tanks have them and, dang, so does my compressor !!!!!
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 07:40 PM

Yes, I know what a stupid regulator is, I have 5 of them.........but why give this guy ideas? He might as well paint it with a brush!
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 07:55 PM

Where is the original poster at? He puts on a post and doesn't reply? What are your thoughts to the advice everyone is giving you, Westfort?
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 08:21 PM

This is funny!!!!!

Westfort is laughing his A$$ off!

Simple yes / no question turned into
a goof post.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 08:24 PM

Quote:

al

If all you are conderned with is contaminants, use a filter. What is wrong with compressed air. I would think a compressere would be a better buy than any kind of storage tank.
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 08:56 PM

Atleast he asked the right question.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 09:11 PM

Quote:

"Hey, Ya'll WATCH THIS!"

Not a good idea.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Somewhere in there should be the phrase " Hey Bob hold my Beer"
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 09:50 PM

He might as well paint it with a brush!

You forgot the roller as well,......just make sure to use the "lint" free ones

Attached picture 4995190-0000a.jpg
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks *DELETED* - 02/02/09 10:03 PM

Quote:

Post deleted by westfort

Bet you were thinking (hoping) the whole post would go away I have some I wished would have too LOL. Don't worry about it. "No such thing as a dumb question. At least you learned something.
Posted By: mikepar

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/02/09 10:22 PM

how about a bug sprayer
Posted By: 3404speed

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/03/09 12:55 AM

bug sprayer...yep with alll your friends standing in a circle, pumping ROFLMAO
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/03/09 01:58 AM

Quote:

You need to rent or buy a compressor, get a book or video on painting cars, and ask a lot more questions here.

I agree with everything he said, but skip the 'ask questions here' part. Too many people here like to jump on a pile after the guy with the football's already been tackled.

Apparently everyone likes to hit 'reply' immediately -- instead of reading and discovering that 9 guys already said the same thing...

I wish I had a dollar for everybody that said 'a pump shotgun makes a distinct sound that will scare off an intruder' in that home invasion thread we had...
Posted By: Just Cameron

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks *DELETED* - 02/03/09 05:38 AM

I painted mine with one of these:
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks *DELETED* - 02/03/09 06:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Post deleted by westfort

Bet you were thinking (hoping) the whole post would go away I have some I wished would have too LOL. Don't worry about it. "No such thing as a dumb question. At least you learned something.

BURNT orange

I also liked the "hold my beer" part as well...

OMG you guys almost made me piss my pants... it's sad & funny at the same time.

I bet that's the last time he posts a question...

I can understand the cleanliness aspect but being that oxygen is so flammable... All I could see happening using it is Kablooey!

I think I will just stick to compressed air & use lots o' filters...
Posted By: goldmember

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks *DELETED* - 02/03/09 06:17 AM

I know, I'm late but I hope someone suggested a cigarette while painting the car and maybe keeping a phone in hand just in case
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks *DELETED* - 02/03/09 06:23 AM

The reason Darwinism does not work here is because there is always someone stopping the process from happening.

Posted By: 71 FJ6 Charger

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks *DELETED* - 02/03/09 06:25 AM

What,you have everything but not a compressor!? Who gave you this idea? Anyway most of your contaminants will be in the surrounding area,not the compressor,line or gun.This sounds retarded. Anyone asking something like this cannot possibly have the knowledge in the first place to paint a car,nor be able to handle the equiptment in the first place with ANY kind of knowledge,and/or obviously safety parameters.
I can't believe there are this many replies to this post......I can't believe I am replying to this post?!
Spare the car,dont touch it!
YOU'LL SHOOT YUR EYE OUT KIDD!
Posted By: Finoke

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/03/09 01:45 PM

Quote:

nitrogen or some inert gas may work, but with modern HVLP guns you need so much air it is not practical for anything but a small job.

Inert gasses are just as dangerous. They won't aid in combusion, but you may knock yourself out if you inhale a good dose of nitrogen.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/03/09 02:16 PM

You will get your best finish if you do it on a still night, outside with a small fire on each side to give you somthing to look off of, but please put a vid camera approx 50-75 ft back...you might want to wet yourself down prior to starting and dont use the paint gun and lighter to start the fires...they will come later
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/03/09 05:11 PM

Inert gasses are just as dangerous. They won't aid in combusion, but you may knock yourself out if you inhale a good dose of nitrogen.

Ahhhh.....Sounds like the voice of experience, or perhaps been there, done that? .......jk
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/04/09 03:26 AM

For any other budding painters out there, you DO NOT need an external ignition source when pure oxygen and oil meet. It will spontaneously ignite and go boom.

seriously bad idea.
Posted By: Finoke

Re: can you paint a car useing oxygen tanks - 02/04/09 11:49 AM

Quote:

Ahhhh.....Sounds like the voice of experience, or perhaps been there, done that? .......jk

I work in an oil refinery. Just when you think you have seen it all, someone surprises you with something new

Actually through the years, the industry has seen guys killed by substituting nitrogen for compressed air when using pnuematic tools. Its easy to do, since in the refinery you have piped N2 and Air sources everywhere.

If done in a confined space, you won't even know what got you
© 2024 Moparts Forums