Moparts

Chrysler ECU requires a case ground doesn't it?

Posted By: mopar346

Chrysler ECU requires a case ground doesn't it? - 03/06/16 04:03 PM

Mine ignition failed the other day and I bought everything new and plugged it up nothing so I swapped to a extra points distributor I had and vroom. Researching the wiring diagram this morning to trouble shut the ECU up but never bolted it down. I have never really used this type of ignition so limited knowledge. Looking at the diagram I am guessing it must have a case ground or it want work which now seems only logical. Am I correct?
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Chrysler ECU requires a case ground doesn't it? - 03/06/16 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By mopar346
Mine ignition failed the other day and I bought everything new and plugged it up nothing so I swapped to a extra points distributor I had and vroom. Researching the wiring diagram this morning to trouble shut the ECU up but never bolted it down. I have never really used this type of ignition so limited knowledge. Looking at the diagram I am guessing it must have a case ground or it want work which now seems only logical. Am I correct?

Yes it needs to be grounded.

Re: Chrysler ECU requires a case ground doesn't it? - 03/06/16 04:14 PM

Thanks, that what I was thinking after looking at the diagram, no ground input so it most come from the case.

Have a great day!
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Chrysler ECU requires a case ground doesn't it? - 03/06/16 05:02 PM

I had a no start after a car meet and it was a ground on the orange box. After figuring it out buffed off the paint on the back of the box and spot on the fire wall plus found a braided grounding strap (thin) and ran it from the rt rear open manifold bolt (bb) and ran that up to the ecu on the firewall. Most modern cars use an independent ground strap why not?

Re: Chrysler ECU requires a case ground doesn't it? - 03/06/16 05:10 PM

Agreed, auxiliary ground straps are a good thing. Not that it couldn't happen but it has been running over a year with the set up that I know and I think several years and I had been driving over 100 miles that drive when it died. I think the ECU just went bad and when I tested it with a new one I just plugged it in and didn't bolt it down so that is why it didn't work.

Re: Chrysler ECU requires a case ground doesn't it? - 03/07/16 03:47 AM

Yep, put everything back together today with a new ECU but I grounded it this time, so vroom. The distributor was seeping/leaking oil up through the shaft so I was looking to replace it anyway, this just forced my hand.

Thanks for the assistancesfolks, have a great evening!
© 2024 Moparts Forums