Moparts

Bonding door mirror glass on E-Body??

Posted By: Gavin

Bonding door mirror glass on E-Body?? - 02/01/09 07:45 PM

Is regular RTV silicone OK to bond the mirror glass to the metal baseplate? It looks like what the factory used. Or is there some other stuff to use, like the stuff they bond windshields with?

I have the RTV...don't have the other stuff
Posted By: BFASTER

Re: Bonding door mirror glass on E-Body?? - 02/01/09 08:05 PM

I've used the regular black gasket sealer on side mirrors and never had one fall out. Make sure both surfaces are extremely clean bfore laying down a bead!

Re: Bonding door mirror glass on E-Body?? - 02/01/09 10:09 PM

Thanks
RTV it is!
Posted By: Barnabas_Kriss

Re: Bonding door mirror glass on E-Body?? - 02/01/09 11:11 PM

I used a black urethane windshield adehesive. Worked very well.
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Bonding door mirror glass on E-Body?? - 02/02/09 01:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks
RTV it is!

i am assuming RTV means silicone sealer. DO NOT USE silicone sealer. it will not work.
try windshield urethane or some type of epoxy, like JB weld.

Re: Bonding door mirror glass on E-Body?? - 02/02/09 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
RTV it is!

i am assuming RTV means silicone sealer. DO NOT USE silicone sealer. it will not work.
try windshield urethane or some type of epoxy, like JB weld.

Yes, I'm talking about silicone gasket maker/sealer etc. Why do you think it shouldn't be used? (BFASTER has used it and it worked fine).

I could see the windshield adhesive would be good, but if silicone does it then I have that to hand. JB Weld wouldn't work as it would be a nightmare to replace the glass if you ever needed to. The factory did use a flexible material...
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Bonding door mirror glass on E-Body?? - 02/02/09 06:54 PM

Take the mirror to your local windshield installer & see if he will put four little blobs of urethane on the pads, drop the mirror in place & tape it...
© 2024 Moparts Forums