Moparts

vynal top repair

Posted By: bonefish

vynal top repair - 02/28/16 10:05 PM

i have some lumps forming under the vynal it feels like rust,its not to bad and its in the area between the back side window and the back glass.i would like to just peel that portion of the vynal back and repair the rust.has anyone done this?any tips would be greatly recieved.Thanks ,AJ
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: vynal top repair - 02/28/16 10:17 PM

This is the original top? I suspect you'll destroy the top just trying to get it up enoughto do the repair. And much like those home improvement shows you're likely to discover more issues once you delve in. I'd plan to just remove it and reinstall a new one. They really aren't that difficult to install.

Could it be done? I suspect but the end results may not be any better than the situation you have now in appearance.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: vynal top repair - 02/28/16 10:44 PM

its not original but it has been on for 15 years.i got nuthin to lose by tryin it.if all fails its new top time.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: vynal top repair - 02/29/16 03:18 AM

Yep nothing ventured nothing gained. Take some pics as you progress to share if the repair works. Tom
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: vynal top repair - 02/29/16 03:23 AM

Heat gun will help. If at all possible roll it, don't pull it. Pulling will stretch the material. When you glue it back don't use that cheap 3M stuff in the can. Find a good commercial glue that installers use. Also, bear in mind that there are some primers that glue will not adhere to. Make sure you scuff around the repair and clean with grease and wax remover.
Posted By: MOBodyman

Re: vynal top repair - 02/29/16 08:11 AM

I've done it. I had a '74 Swinger that was bubbling under the top at the quarter/roof seam on the c-pillar. It was an original car with the original top. As stated above, I carefully heated the top just enough to warm the metal and soften the glue a bit but not melt the vinyl. I was able to carefully peel it up above the seam far enough to grind and wire brush the rusted area and repair it.

I used por-15 on the metal, then filled the seam with fiberglass filler, and sanded and finished the area.I then heated the top and the vinyl again, sprayed the glue and stretched it back down. Still looked nice when I sold the car quite some time later.
Dallas
© 2024 Moparts Forums