Moparts

polishing plastic - tail light lenses

Posted By: 70Sbird

polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 01:53 PM

Happy Friday everyone,

This has probably been covered a million times, but here goes anyway...
I'm going to be taking the tail light assembblies out of the 'Bird this weekend to replace the leaky housing to body gaskets. while I have them out I want to take them apart and polish the plastic tail light lenses. They are just slightly hazy and scuffed, but not very badly. I have some Meguires plastic polish for convertible top plastic windows I'm thinking of using, but I've also heard of people using things like Brasso metal polish, toothpaste etc....
any recommendations?
Posted By: Dart 340

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 02:01 PM

Quote:

Happy Friday everyone,

This has probably been covered a million times, but here goes anyway...
I'm going to be taking the tail light assembblies out of the 'Bird this weekend to replace the leaky housing to body gaskets. while I have them out I want to take them apart and polish the plastic tail light lenses. They are just slightly hazy and scuffed, but not very badly. I have some Meguires plastic polish for convertible top plastic windows I'm thinking of using, but I've also heard of people using things like Brasso metal polish, toothpaste etc....
any recommendations?

Depends on how bad they are. I used to make prototype lenses for Auto Meter gauges for years.
If the scratches are deep you will need to use something to "remove" a little plastic. If they are not deep a little elbow grease and a good gentle polishing compound will work well. There are several "scratch" hiding products available
for plastic but be careful and try in a very small area first. On older resins you never know what you are going to get. You can PM me if you want details on removing deeper scratches etc.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 02:14 PM

Mothers aluminum mag wheel polish. Works wonders. I even use it on faded plastic headlights. Mike
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 02:32 PM

I use a basic rubbing compound like 3M.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 02:35 PM

Quote:

I use a basic rubbing compound like 3M.

As do I. I have also had great success with 600/1000/2000 grit paper then a buffing wheel, but you have to be VERY gentle when putting plastic on a wheel.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 02:50 PM

plain old tooth paste... '70 lenses are super easy to clean basically flat once you have them apart. Rub the paste with your fingers to clean, rinse well, then finish with your choice of liquid wax. Did mine this way and had excellent results.

Plus, if you use the right type they'll be minty fresh too
Posted By: maximus

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 03:10 PM

I agree, have been using toothpaste for 20 years on plastic restoration. Make use it's white paste not gel. Makes teeth whiter and plastic brighter.
Posted By: Publicbottle

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 04:18 PM

Micromesh!!!A nice kit you can buy at hobby shops, comes with many gtits of sand paper (1500-6000grit i think) coems with a polish and everything you need. We use it in Aviation to polish out damaged acylics...ithink its $30 for a kit.

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 04:33 PM

Done both the Mothers Alumium Polish and Toothpaste. Take your pick!

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 05:23 PM

Been using paint polishes on them for years.
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 05:28 PM

I use a special string wheel on a low rpm buffer with blue compound. Works awesome just make sure your buffers going at a low rpm. I think eastwood may sell wheels that are simular to the string wheel I have.
Posted By: minivan

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 08:52 PM

Quote:

I use a special string wheel on a low rpm buffer with blue compound. Works awesome just make sure your buffers going at a low rpm. I think eastwood may sell wheels that are simular to the string wheel I have.

I have the eastwood string buffer and their plastic polish.. Mine came out looking brand new....
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/30/08 09:10 PM

I used this stuff called meguiars plast x on my '69 charger lenses and they turned out amazing!
Posted By: 70Sbird

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 05/31/08 07:26 PM

Thanks everyone for all the responses!
The taillights are out and I'm going to try polishing tonight or tomorrow. I see how well they polish up!

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 06/04/08 07:06 AM

Toothpaste works.
it'a made with diatoms....those little microscopic shelly creatures that live in the ocean, and have a mild abrasive quality.....
Can make your gold tooth shine...hehe
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 06/04/08 04:51 PM

Quote:

I used this stuff called meguiars plast x on my '69 charger lenses and they turned out amazing!

I also used this product, came out very nice looking in no time at all...
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 06/04/08 05:00 PM

Doesn't everyone have at least one sample packet of Flitz laying around? That stuff is great on lenses!!!!!!!
Posted By: IEAT4DS

Re: polishing plastic - tail light lenses - 06/04/08 05:13 PM

Someone told me clear coating works wonders. I have never tried it yet. I am planning to experiment on a couple of old ones. Good luck! Scott
© 2024 Moparts Forums