Moparts

power steer adjust question

Posted By: ozymaxwedge

power steer adjust question - 02/18/16 04:03 AM

Hi all, Put a kit through the power steering box in my Barracuda and have been to the shop and had the wheel alignment done but the car is pulling left, was pulling left on the way to the shop but I just figured that it would be right after the alignment, the power steering box is centring itself and it goes left. Can I simply adjust the tie rods equal amounts to compensate for this ?
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/18/16 05:38 AM

You say you've been into the power steering box..Any you've already had the front end aligned ?? Here's a test :

Jack the car up leaving both front wheels off the ground...Fire the car up and see if the box turns the wheels to the left on it's own without anyone touching the wheel...If it does you need to center the valve body{ on top of the pump }by loosening the two bolts on top and tapping it over a little..This will center the valve and stop the pull to the left..

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/18/16 05:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes correct, had the box apart, new seals ect and been and had it aligned.
Yes if I jack it and start the engine the wheels go to left a little.

So doing it with the tie rods not a good idea ? Was looking for the easy way out as the box is surrounded by header pipes.

Cheers,
AL
Posted By: stumpy

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/18/16 05:54 AM

Center the valve. Tie rod adjustment isn't going to cure this problem. Alignment wouldn't make any difference if the steering moves while in the air.
Posted By: jaque

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/18/16 09:07 PM

had same problem but going right... new firm feel box and alignment cured it... had headers to deal with too.. worth it car drives straight and tight....
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/18/16 11:36 PM

as stated above, the valve body is not 'centered'. loosen the attaching bolts until just a little more than snug and tap the body. if memory serves, tapping down affects a right pull and tapping up changes a left. or visa versa. little movement makes big changes. with new seals this can be done with the car running as long as you don't loosen the bolts too much.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/19/16 01:21 AM

Well almost.

Attached picture ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/19/16 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By Cudajon
Well almost.

youtube and google. there isn't really anything to take a picture of...

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/19/16 03:24 AM

Not like this with the 2 bolts

http://www.musclecarparts.co.nz/media/ca.../m/d/md2195.jpg

It is like this....

http://www.larescorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/1033-cast-c-300x163.jpg

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/19/16 03:28 AM

cudajon here's a pic of the car, just for you.

Posted By: screamindriver

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/19/16 06:09 AM

Nice car...up.Reminds me of the one Jessie James{WCC} built..

Re: power steer adjust question - 02/20/16 04:29 AM

Have not looked at the pump yet but I nailed the box adjustment, backed the bolts off and tapped the valve up about 3mm and tightened the bolts, wheels off the ground I started the engine and it turned right this time so back under there tapped it down about 2mm, repeat 1mm, repeat 1/2mm and bingo.

All good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums