Moparts

Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed?

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/17/16 10:31 PM

So are there bushings that mount the quarter glass on a 68-70 B hardtop? Anyone know where they would be available? The FSM is a little vague.

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/18/16 09:34 AM

Dang! No takers? Where are all my b body buddies today???
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/18/16 03:13 PM

http://www.rtspecialties.net/search.asp
Roller parts available at R/T Specialties. Search "Window ".
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/18/16 04:14 PM

Be sure and get the rollers and the black washers used to cushion the glass between the aluminum frame and the washer of the attaching bolt. Use vacuum line to fill the hole in the glass or the edges of the bolt may break the glass. If you have not taken the windows out yet, be very carefully taking the bolts out. Steel and aluminum don't mix well so the bolt gets corroded and they easily break off in the aluminum.

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/19/16 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By fastmark
Be sure and get the rollers and the black washers used to cushion the glass between the aluminum frame and the washer of the attaching bolt. Use vacuum line to fill the hole in the glass or the edges of the bolt may break the glass. If you have not taken the windows out yet, be very carefully taking the bolts out. Steel and aluminum don't mix well so the bolt gets corroded and they easily break off in the aluminum.

Oh boy. I bought the car with the glass out... I sure hope the bolts aren't busted off. Better add antisiese compound to those threads. I'll know what I'm facing tomorrow thanks much for the tips.
Posted By: seventy

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/19/16 02:22 PM

They sell the kits at vanns and on ebay, I seen hardware kits also in the past..

It has to be the worst part of assembling the car, lol, I would rather put 3 wiper assemblies together than mess with the 1/4 mechs...
good luck...

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/19/16 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By seventy
They sell the kits at vanns and on ebay, I seen hardware kits also in the past..

It has to be the worst part of assembling the car, lol, I would rather put 3 wiper assemblies together than mess with the 1/4 mechs...
good luck...

Looking at all the adjusting bolts I can see why it's a pain. The factory must have had a nice little jig to align it. The mechanisms are both still in the car and haven't been removed so it should be easy, but if I have to drill out a bolt, ugh. I WILL try to scribe around all of the bolts so that I can get it close when it goes back in. If you hear someone screaming this weekend, you'll know who it is...
Posted By: minivan

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/20/16 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By seventy

good luck...

You HDTP guys have it easy, the convertibles are real handcutting, knuckle busting beatches......

Attached picture DSCF0160.JPG
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/20/16 12:30 AM

I would advise getting drunk before you start reassembly. That way, the pain will be dulled.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/20/16 12:32 AM

Yeah, on my 1970 Sport Satellite I took the assemblies out and re-installed them . . . the factory must have installed these BEFORE the rear quarter panels went on, would seem the easiest way to do it !!! . . . good luck !!

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/20/16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By a12rag
Yeah, on my 1970 Sport Satellite I took the assemblies out and re-installed them . . . the factory must have installed these BEFORE the rear quarter panels went on, would seem the easiest way to do it !!! . . . good luck !!

No, they were installed afterwards...

I have been "told" by some oldtimers, when I was doing Auto Glass, that some Riviera's ( 60's era), you did have to remove the door skin to install the door glass.. Never had to do one, so I cant say for sure..

To the OP. Take your time and have another person help. They can hold it while you snake it back in. Crank the regulator one way or the other while installing to help get it back in and fastened.. If your painted, tape off the edges with some heavier blue masking tape..
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/21/16 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By Big Bad Bee
So are there bushings that mount the quarter glass on a 68-70 B hardtop? Anyone know where they would be available? The FSM is a little vague.

Josh's parts has the kits, plus a Moparts discount, setting up the rear qtr glass can be a challenge at times, just make sure the channel openings in the aluminum frames holding the glass are free from corrosion, nicks/gouges/etc, use a premium quality slick as dodo grease for the rollers/guides/regulators, make sure the door glass/vent frame is adjusted where you want it to be first, as the rear qtr glass has a lot more adjustment travel

Attached picture joshes.JPG

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/21/16 04:31 PM

Well, I got in the garage today and took a look at the glass bolt locations and here's what I found.

It takes a real genius to break off ALL FOUR BOLTS before adding penetrating oil...

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 01:17 AM

In Daytona's photo above of the install kit, the four top clips are the most difficult things to install in the world..

Another clip is made that sets on the shaft and then push it sideways to lock it. Much easier to use and works as good. Go to a local auto glass store, they should be able to help you..

I have spent HOURS trying to get the above clips to work and failed...
Posted By: ragin sonny

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 03:46 AM

I agree.ended up re-using my old rusty ones,glad to know it wasn't just me!

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By minivan
In Daytona's photo above of the install kit, the four top clips are the most difficult things to install in the world..

Another clip is made that sets on the shaft and then push it sideways to lock it. Much easier to use and works as good. Go to a local auto glass store, they should be able to help you..

So are you talking C clips? I am going to have to pull it all out because all four glass bolts were snapped off so I will know soon what you are talking about. At this point, I don't even know if the little roller wheels need replaced. I guess this gives me a chance to clean it all real good and lube everything as Mike suggested.

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 05:32 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Josh's parts has the kits, plus a Moparts discount, setting up the rear qtr glass can be a challenge at times, just make sure the channel openings in the aluminum frames holding the glass are free from corrosion, nicks/gouges/etc, use a premium quality slick as dodo grease for the rollers/guides/regulators, make sure the door glass/vent frame is adjusted where you want it to be first, as the rear qtr glass has a lot more adjustment travel

Thanks for the tip, Mike!

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

Are some of the wheels pictured spacers/gaskets that go between the frame and the glass and the bolt and the glass?

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 06:47 AM

Well, I am having zero luck finding the window to frame attaching bolts online. Anyone know that thread, how long? what size washer? I am assuming it is like a body bolt with kept washer.

Thanks!

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 03:42 PM

It's got a 7/16" hex and 1" washer. 1/4-20 thread. R/T Specialties has them.
They're also used to hold the headlight brackets to the fenders on a '70 Coronet.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=0784857

Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 06:15 PM

Ok. I tried to take a picture with my iPhone that this stupid site will take and I don't know how to adjust the size for that purpose. Any way. Don't be too hard on the guy that broke your bolts. They break easily even in a place with very little corrosion in the car. It's an aluminum vs steel thing. You cannot heat them to get them out because of the glass. After you get the part out, you might be able to heat it and remove it by grabbing the bolt that sticks out. I'm pretty good at drilling broken bolts in the center, heating them and removing them with an easy out. 1/4 x 20 is very hard. Good luck.

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By fastmark
Ok. I tried to take a picture with my iPhone that this stupid site will take and I don't know how to adjust the size for that purpose.

After you take the pic edit it with crop. They'll work once you do that.

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 07:13 PM

Ok. I'll try. Thanks for the help. Here is the back side of a complete mechanism. Both of these bolts came out fine so it is rare that they both came out. It has been sitting outside so its weathered some

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: Reinstalling B Body Quarter Glass - What's Needed? - 02/22/16 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By minivan

So are you talking C clips?

NO, they are a specific clip to replace the one shown in the picture of the "kit".... ANY good Auto Glass shop will know what you need...

Surprised no one has attached a pic of one already..
© 2024 Moparts Forums