Moparts

BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ?

Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/14/16 06:26 AM

Hello, need a set of tires for the Challenger. And was going to go BF Goodrich Radial TAs. But came across the Mickey Thompson Sportsman STs. And was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between the two? Which one has the better dry traction? Any opinions on either? The MTs are about $20 to $30 bucks cheaper per tire. Thanks
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/14/16 11:40 AM

Believe MT's ar T rated for speed, TA's are S rated. Believe MT's are rebranded Coopers. Check out current posting where browning of RWL's on TA's is being debated. Have not heard of similar issues with Coopers or MT's.

May come down to the name you wish to appear on your sidewalls.

For me, I wish that these Goodyears were still available.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/14/16 07:23 PM

Not a huge difference, but I've heard better reviews for dry traction goes to the ST, which are a Cooper Cobra unit with MT lettering.

IMO, I'd go with MT SR tires instead of either of the above. Newest carcass design available on a 15" tire, better wet and dry traction, and H speed rated. However, no white letters available.
Posted By: Neil

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/14/16 07:34 PM

I have had both and the M/T tires are better for dry traction. The M/T tire is likely made by Cooper, but it's not a Cooper Cobra tire with a different lettering.

Worse thing about them is they don't offer them in very many sizes and they cost more. Tire store I got mine from prices the M/T tires $20 + ea. higher than the BFG tires so 4 new tires ends up costing close to $100.00 more.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/15/16 01:32 AM

Sportsman ST is sticky er... ime

255/60/15 on 8" rim -

Posted By: GY3

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/15/16 06:13 AM

I'm using the Mickey Thompson ST's on the back of my '63 Dodge.

They are a great street tire and actually get sticky enough to pick up rocks after a good, hard burnout.

I have 275/60/15's and they are no match for big horsepower but wear really well.
Posted By: tman

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/15/16 12:27 PM

Right now Discount tire direct has a promotion for buying a set of 4 tires and on top of that, if you apply for the Discount tire credit card you get another rebate.
For instance on a set of 4 BFG 235/60-15 you get $75 Visa card, and using the Discount tire credit card a $60 rebate. Sale is good till the Feb 15. Just put in tire size you need and see pricing. Free shpg too. For WA state, there is no tax. They probably charge tax depending where its shipping to. This is not the Discount tire store, this is there online store only. They do sell Coopers too.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do?
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/15/16 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By Neil
The M/T tire is likely made by Cooper, but it's not a Cooper Cobra tire with a different lettering.

Yes, it is made by Cooper, and no, they aren't identical. The Cobra has more grooves on the shoulder than the MT version.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/15/16 06:41 PM

I've looked at both tires,and I am going with The M/T tires. They might be made by Cooper,but I like the looks of them better and it seems everyone is putting BFG's on their cars these days. The M/T tires and chrome rallye wheels are going to look killer on my 70 Road Runner.
Posted By: feets

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/15/16 08:45 PM

They both suck for anything more than a show poodle.

Go with the MT SR tires. Those things make driving fun again. You'd be surprised how big of a difference an H rated tire makes.
Posted By: Neil

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/15/16 09:22 PM

Black walls only on the M/T SR tires, which may or may not matter to the OP.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/16/16 03:33 AM

I had a set of MT Sportsman Radials crack on me. Both tires did in the tread pattern. I've used MT tires for years and never had a problem. However, not going to chance that again and bought another MT tire.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/16/16 06:32 AM

I just put a set of S/T's on my Satellite. I really like the basic, no BS look for a classic musclecar. The S/R has too much BS going on for my taste; more suited to a resto-mod type build. Price is right and they are exactly what they try to be... A classic 60 or 70 series radial for your musclecar.

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/16/16 04:05 PM

Thanks guys, feets do the SR tires hook decent on the street? I'm looking for white letter tires. But the letters can be added. Thanks
Posted By: Tempest

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/16/16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By 4406forPOWER
Thanks guys, feets do the SR tires hook decent on the street? I'm looking for white letter tires. But the letters can be added. Thanks

Depends on a bunch of factors. Chassis, HP/TQ, gear converter etc.
Probably better than a BFG radial but no, they don't hook in car with decent power. I had 31x18's and it would still kill the tires in 2nd rolling at 30 MPH.

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/16/16 06:26 PM

OK, thanks
Posted By: njmopar

Re: BF Goodrich Radial TA vs MT Sportsman ST ? - 02/16/16 07:23 PM

I went through the mental debate of BFGs or some other brand this past weekend. Running 245/60/15 so not too many choices. I decided to go back to BFGs once again. I had a hard time finding any decent pricing until I got to this site. They are doing $50 a set of 4 and there is free shipping:
http://www.4wd.com/productlist.aspx?cati...+Goodrich+Tires
© 2024 Moparts Forums