Moparts

Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator

Posted By: 71rm23

Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 09:45 AM

I'm converting my '71 B to electronic ignition. Would I need the bracket for the electronic ignition module? See pix

Attached picture Electronic ignit module.jpg
Attached picture Voltage reg.jpg
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 01:30 PM

Not necessary.

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 03:39 PM

I can mount them side by side then?
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 05:22 PM

You already have an electronic voltage regulator from the factory. That ignition bracket can be mounted on the intake like the factory did and you won't have to drill holes in the firewall. Or, should I say there are brackets out there that mount on the intake.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 05:22 PM

Yes, confirm good grounds on both/good crimping/soldering/shrink wrap
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 07:38 PM

Have had an ECU mounted on the firewall(sans bracket)about a foot to the port of the regulator for many moons...

No issues...

(Mount 'em both on CLEAN metal...)

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
You already have an electronic voltage regulator from the factory. That ignition bracket can be mounted on the intake like the factory did and you won't have to drill holes in the firewall. Or, should I say there are brackets out there that mount on the intake.

I've always seen them on the firewall, mine is. If there is one on the intake, do you have a picture or know where to get it?

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
Have had an ECU mounted on the firewall(sans bracket)about a foot to the port of the regulator for many moons...

No issues...

(Mount 'em both on CLEAN metal...)

"Mount 'em both on CLEAN metal". My engine bay is freshly painted. Is that what you mean? Or some people say to remove or scuff the area where the bolt holes are for ground.

Just wanted to get it clarified.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 08:03 PM

Both my regulator, and ECU are mounted on 'paint-free' metal...

Ground the mounting points clean...

(With a shot of di-electric grease for good measure when you bolt 'em down...)
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 08:10 PM

Absolutely make sure you have bare metal for the ground. Thought I had a good ground. After a 50mile drive. No start! Thought dead orange box. Swapped box still no start. Scrapped the paint on the back of the box and around the box holes and firewall with a pocket knife and vroom. Later taped out area and used a pneumatic angle grinder and pad..no problems doesn't take much paint to cause a headache

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/13/16 08:39 PM

Thanks RS23U1G and R70RUNNER.

Working in aviation, I have a tool called a "spot facer". It's kinda like a Dremel tool/bit. It's a wire bit that takes or scuffs paint off for electrical ground. It fits perfectly in a screw hole or can be used for certain size bolts. Once cleaned and whatever is being installed, some guys covers the area with clear nail polish. It works
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/14/16 12:24 AM

A "bonding brush" is what you need, several pilot sizes available.

Attached picture Brush.jpg

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/14/16 01:47 AM

71 didn't have electronic ignition, so somebody put it there in the past. I think Roger Gibson may have the intake bracket, I know I have see them new before. I have a 71 also, what I did with my regulator was to find a self locking nut that fit the factory bolts. I cleaned the back of the regulator and a small spot around the holes. Then I went inside the cow under the vent screen and installed a toothed washer and the self locking nut.

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/14/16 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

A "bonding brush" is what you need, several pilot sizes available.

That's exactly what I have, John. Heard it called "spot facer" and "bonding brush". I'll do it on the back of the box(s) and where it mounts on the firewall

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/14/16 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
71 didn't have electronic ignition, so somebody put it there in the past. I think Roger Gibson may have the intake bracket, I know I have see them new before. I have a 71 also, what I did with my regulator was to find a self locking nut that fit the factory bolts. I cleaned the back of the regulator and a small spot around the holes. Then I went inside the cow under the vent screen and installed a toothed washer and the self locking nut.

I know there wasn't no electronic ignition in 71. No one has added it, I'm adding it. Thinking of just side by side. If Gibson has the intake bracket, never seen one mounted on the intake. His catalog don't have pictures associated with his P/N's but will look through it.

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/14/16 05:36 AM

Then if he doesn't I don't know who, but I did see new ones before.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/14/16 07:59 AM

Great another tool to buy. My wife will be thrilled
Posted By: 383man

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/14/16 08:31 AM

Some make cars would use that type bracket to mount the ign module out off the firewall or fenderwell as it can let some air behind the electronic module which might help it stay a little cooler. I have seen modules mounted on a bracket before just to move the module out and maybe keep it cooler with air getting behind it. Most did not use a bracket but if you want mount the module or electronic reg on it you can but as was said be sure it gets a good ground. Or chuck the bracket and dont worry about it. Ron
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Electronic ignition module and voltage regulator - 02/14/16 08:32 AM

you might twist the right dia drill bit in your hand
© 2024 Moparts Forums