Moparts

65 b body has tank strap

Posted By: NTOLERANCE

65 b body has tank strap - 02/08/16 03:45 AM

I need a pic of the gas tank strap where is bolts / threads in at the back of the car

Single strap. 65 coronet. I can't tell what's missing
Posted By: skicker

Re: 65 b body has tank strap - 02/08/16 06:01 AM

I looked thru all of mine and have none.
If I can get home in time tomorrow I'll take pics of where the strap J Bolt goes...
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: 65 b body has tank strap - 02/08/16 04:24 PM

Here are pics I can share from my '65 Satellite.

The strap obviously goes under and installs from front to back (front being at the axle and rear being at the filler neck behind the license plate).

The front (axle) end of the strap has the 'T' shape. This is the "dumb" end and goes into a slot on the subframe. You stick the 'T' in vertically and twists down horizontally into place.

At the rear is where the threaded parts go….

One piece is the threaded bolt with the flattened "mushroom head". The "mushroom head" of this bolt goes into the upside-down-pear-shaped hole on the subframe right under the filler neck pocket.

Then the threaded end that hangs down goes through the hole in the strap, and you put on the nut and tighten it up and it looks like this.

Come back here with any Q's.
- Art
Posted By: therocks

Re: 65 b body has tank strap - 02/08/16 04:59 PM

67 thats how it mounts.Just looked at my 65.Only one strap and a bolt with a head thats bent and flared out.Rocky
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: 65 b body has tank strap - 02/08/16 06:52 PM

Thanks guys. I don't have that bolt. And I didn't see that hole.

I'll make up a bolt and look again
Posted By: skicker

Re: 65 b body has tank strap - 02/09/16 12:03 AM

I may have that J bolt in all the stuff leftover from mine...it's probably easier to make than hassle with shipping... up
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: 65 b body has tank strap - 02/09/16 08:07 PM

Just for detail's sake I'll mention that the factory put a layer of thick black/brown asphalt paper (like goes under roof shingles or siding on a house), on top of the tank before installing it.

This was to prevent corrosion by avoiding contact between the metal of the tank and the metal of the trunk pan or subframe.

Cheers,
- Art
© 2024 Moparts Forums