Moparts

Plug Boot Burn

Posted By: Texas383

Plug Boot Burn - 01/14/16 08:37 PM

I just installed expensive(to me at least) ceramic coated headers on my '69 Super Bee with 383. The #6 plug wire boot is super close to the header tube, burns in a small amount of time and shorts out. I've used an insulated sleeve and it eventually allows the boot to burn away too. I don't want to bend and beat on the headers and mess up the coating. I'm using MSD high heat wires/boots. Any suggestions...?
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/14/16 08:53 PM

a good quality sleeve will help out with this. i have the same problem and most of us do. really the only way 100% is to route the wires factory style instead of 'up and over'. using a bendable plug connector will help to. the other option is to invest in the very spendy performance wires and boots from Firecore or various other manufacturers.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/14/16 09:07 PM

Could you swap to a 90 degree end?
Doug
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/14/16 11:50 PM

A picture of the issue might help solve it.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 12:21 AM

Been running 'Mag-na-Cor' wires(with 'adjustable' boots)cozied-up to Hooker headers for many years...

No 'sleeves'...

No issues...

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
Been running 'Mag-na-Cor' wires(with 'adjustable' boots)cozied-up to Hooker headers for many years...

No 'sleeves'...

No issues...

way pricey for most of us whiney
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By mikemee1331

way pricey for most of us whiney

Have no idea what they list for now...

Back when I bought 'em, they weren't bad at all...

(Of course, back then, a whole bunch fer these cars weren't bad...

Unlike today...

When you durn near got to win the lotto to re-do yer Hemi RR...)
Posted By: ahy

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 04:23 AM

On my "B" engine with 1 7/8 TTI headers I started with a set of Taylor wires. They fit great on the engine stand with headers installed but not so much in the car. With obstacles like power steering I had to switch them around and they burnt pretty fast.

A set of MSD "adjustable boot" wires worked much better. Basically you bend the boot as needed for each hole. No burnt wires after that including a long road trip and road track time.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 05:10 AM

What brand headers are they ? I know with the Firecore wires I use they have never even started to look burnt and some of mine are a little close. Ron
Posted By: skicker

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 06:10 AM

I've ran Taylor's through extensive abuse both racing and street driving. Never...ever burned them...Is it possible its bad lean...maybe early or late on timing and generating excessive heat? shruggy
Posted By: moparx

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 04:42 PM

at one time, wasn't there an out fit that offered ceramic plug ends that you could install on your wires to cure the problem described ? if i remember correctly, they were white in color, and came in straight and 90* versions.
beer
Posted By: therocks

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 05:55 PM

I agree with skicker.Taylors on my 440 with 2 inch TTIs never burnt.Mine were on at least 15 years and still looked good.My kid ran them on the 413 with 2 1/8 headers.His were on 4 years at least.He did run covers on 8.Just replaced my taylors as the old ones looked tacky.The Spiro pros are some of the best Ive ever run.Oh yeah run them on all the SBs also with headers.Ran them on my 57 chrysler also.Rocky

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
at one time, wasn't there an out fit that offered ceramic plug ends that you could install on your wires to cure the problem described ? if i remember correctly, they were white in color, and came in straight and 90* versions.
beer

Jacobs?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/15/16 10:18 PM

Raja used to make ends.They would last forever.I had a set.Trouble was where they went on the plug was open.Get rain etc and misfire.Rocky
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/16/16 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By mikemee1331
Originally Posted By moparx
beer

Jacobs?

Yup. Jacobs electronics. I had a set on a '70 chevelle. Loved them. The boot could lay right on the header tube, with no problem. The boots were a little bulky, so you had to run a shorty plug.
I had their complete pro street ignition system.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/16/16 04:49 PM

http://www.raceindustry.com/part-showcase/jacobs-electronics/3725-ceramic-boot-spark-plug-wires.html

They make, or did make 90* boots, that's what I had.
Posted By: Texas383

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/17/16 05:02 PM

I'm not sure a 90 degree boot will help with the plug being next to the header tube.

I didn't think about using a shorty plug. Whats a good plug part # for that?

Here's my combo:
383 bored .060
Keith Black 10:1
Mopar 509
Edelbrock Torker
ThermoQuad 910cfm
Mopar Chrome Box
37 degrees total
Posted By: m88mark

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/18/16 08:36 AM

I think I've got a autolite 23 on #6
Posted By: moparx

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/18/16 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By Texas383

I didn't think about using a shorty plug. Whats a good plug part # for that?

someone at one time recommended a lawnmower plug that was a good heat range for this type of application. any one remember the plug number ?
beer
Posted By: skicker

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/18/16 03:47 PM

Weren't the Champion J plugs the shorty's? Maybe a J8 or something depending on how hot you want... shruggy
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/18/16 07:09 PM

CJ's were the short lawnmower / weedeater plugs with gasketed seats. DJ's were the same shorter height but with tapered seats.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/18/16 11:33 PM

I ran some sort of ceramic type boot back in the 70's, don't remember the name but they never burned like the silicone race boots did. The ones I had actually were made to swivel from straight to 90 or anywhere in between. Don't know what happened to them.
Posted By: 4woody

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/20/16 08:13 AM

Accel 9000 series wires have the ceramic end-angled or straight- and are available singly if you only need one. I switched to a full set of these after burning MSD's several times on my 383 with shorty headers.
https://jet.com/product/detail/211da7e11...0AIgRoCgsTw_wcB

[img]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLEiby6ltDDVYzdqvZgoO0KXHM5UGcvE8pEqj5F_zEeedupOTf[/img]
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Plug Boot Burn - 01/21/16 03:01 AM

As said the short plug will fix this problem, I had the same thing going on with #1 on my motor with custom pipes, after doing shields, boots ect I put a full set of plugs in that were same but 1/2" shorter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums