Moparts

largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation?

Posted By: 462hemi

largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 01/09/16 11:22 PM

i have done some reading and it looked like someone on the tubbed thread was saying something about fitting a 15x14 rear wheel on a 72 road runner with a mini tub and the springs relocated to the framewell......can anyone confirm or correct this? what is the largest wheel/tire combo possible?
Posted By: 462hemi

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/05/16 12:52 AM

anyone have any input here? surely some of you guys have done this before. any input at all would be helpful
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/05/16 04:02 AM

Have 295 width on a 72 Charger with springs relocated, no sheet metal work with an inch on each side. 12" cross section width on 10" wheels. Backspacing is critical.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/05/16 05:27 PM

The wheel wells are pretty big on these cars, they go to flush with the frame rail. The leaf spring will be your limiting factor way before the tubs become an issue.
Posted By: Steve88

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/05/16 07:14 PM

I don't have any mods done to my 71 at all and I have 18X11 wheels with a 28x12.50x18 Mickey Thompson Sportsman SR Radials on the rear with no rubbing at all. The wheelwells are huge and if I relocated the springs I would think that there would be another 3" to be had pretty easily.

Attached picture 71rr.jpg
Posted By: ProSport

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/06/16 03:18 AM

Steve88, your car looks incredible!

My Dad had a 340 '71 RR, he ran a good sized McCreary tire on the back with no modifications, it's amazing how much tire will fit on these B-bodies.

Attached picture 2008070900.jpg
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/06/16 05:26 PM

Well, if no one chimes in with an example that satisfies your question, just do what I did. Pick the tire and wheel combo that you want, and get their specs on the internet. Tirerack.com is a good choice, and for the wheels, search the manufacturer's website. Then you can make cardboard templates to position in your wheel wells... taking into account, any modifications to the tubs and leaf springs that you want to make, and suspension travel. If the combo that you chose is too large, pick another until you find one that fits just right. It's easy to do. Some company sells an adjustable gizmo that bolts to your axle for mock ups, but if you are only doing this one time, save your money. Sounds like I know what I am talking about, doesn't it?
Posted By: RV2

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/08/16 04:29 AM

I want to know this info because my rear tires look puny under there.
I'd like to minitub mine, I have a dana60 that is stock length but I will narrow it.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/08/16 05:02 AM

What size do you want to run? I measured one time and 325/50/15's would fit with custom backspacing rims. They're roughly 13.2" from bulge to bulge if memory serves.
Posted By: RV2

Re: largest tire wheel on a 72 rr with mini tub and relocation? - 02/09/16 03:03 AM

I love this old school look too

Attached picture image.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums