Moparts

Dashpad VIN tags

Posted By: Tim8979

Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 06:51 PM

Does anybody "remake" dashpad VIN plates, and most importantly is this legit and legal????? I am interested in buying a car from another state , FULLY documented, with a state issued registration, cowl, radiator support and drivers door sticker all match the #s. Dash was removed and now gone. This is my main concern to buying this car, any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks MoParts members
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 06:56 PM

Plenty of this exact topic on here, attached is the latest:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...vin-stamps.html

Approach this topic with caution on Moparts Law... eyes
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By Tim8979
Does anybody "remake" dashpad VIN plates, and most importantly is this legit and legal????? I am interested in buying a car from another state , FULLY documented, with a state issued registration, cowl, radiator support and drivers door sticker all match the #s. Dash was removed and now gone. This is my main concern to buying this car, any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks MoParts members

If the State issued VIN is the car's original VIN number sequence, and you have ALL the required documentation, then contact www.datatags.com to see about having a repro VIN plate made, If your vehicle's VIN carries an alternate VIN number and it's traceable to the vehicles original issued VIN, then your stuck with the State Issued VIN

Don't release/post your VIN as some individuals will "black flag" your vehicle in their so called "registries"
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

If the State issued VIN is the car's original VIN number sequence, and you have ALL the required documentation, then contact www.datatags.com to see about having a repro VIN plate made, If your vehicle's VIN carries an alternate VIN number and it's traceable to the vehicles original issued VIN, then your stuck with the State Issued VIN

Don't release/post your VIN as some individuals will "black flag" your vehicle in their so called "registries"

too late , every B/E body that has a vin tag that is currently in Indiana is now flagged .

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 08:57 PM

Thank you for the info about datatags.com I want to make sure this is TOTALLY LEGIT and legal 1st and foremost, and also want it to be authentic not just a black tag with #s and letters, Does anybody have any good or bad input, time factor to get done and cost???? I will be in contact with them tomorrow. Thanks again in advance
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 09:16 PM

What if someone years ago decided to take this dash out and swap it in another car and this old vin number is registered already on another car? We know that the other car is illegal, but I'm just saying. What happened to the original tag anyway.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 09:18 PM

If it has a state issued VIN, that is the new legal identifier.

It also means that number is on the title.

Anytime a state issued VIN is created, the car had to be inspected which included a legal paper trail which lead up to the newly assigned VIN.

If a dash VIN suddenly appears on it from a black market source with the paper trail showing it was missing, you are really taking your chances.

Check with your local state cops before proceeding with any 'internet advice' you hear (mine included) since VIN laws vary by state & the state cops will tell you what legal options you have - if any.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 10:22 PM

Datatag is not a black market source. The process involves your local law enforcement agency. I don't think the law is in the black market and is going to help you commit fraud.
But yes check with your State Dept. of Revenue. If the car already has a state issued vin then why bother with it?
Posted By: RJS

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/30/15 11:12 PM

Buy a different car unless your getting that one at a VERY reduced price. I wouldn't touch it myself.
Ron
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/31/15 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By RJS

Buy a different car unless your getting that one at a VERY reduced price. I wouldn't touch it myself.
Ron

Agree. If there wasn't something wrong wouldn't the seller already have done this?

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/31/15 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By moparmarks
Datatag is not a black market source. The process involves your local law enforcement agency. I don't think the law is in the black market and is going to help you commit fraud.

I know someone that got a VIN from Datatags, he was correcting a fast one the seller tried to pull on him, he put the correct VIN back on the car. The prior owner swapped the dash frame to another because the car was missing it's original engine and the donor had the original engine, what the donkey neglected to do was remove the factory fender tag which had the original VIN on it and those numbers matched the build plant and partial stamped on the body in 2 places .

There was no law enforcement involved. Maybe things have changed ?

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/31/15 06:58 AM

Thank you for the info about datatags.com I want to make sure this is TOTALLY LEGIT and legal 1st and foremost, and also want it to be authentic not just a black tag with #s and letters, Does anybody have any good or bad input, time factor to get done and cost???? I will be in contact with them tomorrow. Thanks again in advance

But it's not totally legit, the state issued VIN tag is the ONLY LEGIT vin tag that belongs on this car now. What you are attempting to do is committing fraud .
Posted By: srt

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/31/15 07:31 AM

Or, perhaps, buying a desirable, but parted together car at a steep discount, and an idea sparked by the seller that "value can be added if you just..."
As can happen, the deed doer is not the guy arranging the documentation slip
Nothing wrong with a car that maintains it's historical past, it is what it is.

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/31/15 09:17 PM

Consider this question closed. I am not going to buy this car based on the opinions / advise in which I asked for from this forum. I asked this question because I did not want to invest or waste THOUSANDS of dollars on a car that had a clear TITLE (with VIN), registration with the SAME VIN, fender tag, cowl in GOOD SHAPE, radiator support and engine block and trans with all #s matching same as title. Only the dash tag is missing. Why someone took the dash and interior out and now dash is missing,.... I cant answer that, but that's why I asked you for input and advise. @JohnRR, it was never my thought and or intent to committing fraud in anyway shape or form. PERIOD!!!, I only came to this forum for help, in doing the right thing, I was cautious of buying and then NOT being able to get a dashtag , same as you would be I am sure. So please feel free to subtract my # from your post count. Thanks MoParts members for the ad
Posted By: TJP

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/31/15 09:30 PM

Tim,
I was watching this post as I have a casual friend with a 72 Challenger that he had restored by a shop that shall remain nameless. They lost the Vin tag and dash pad that it was attached to. He hasn't had any issues as he hasn't tried to sell the car but somewhere down the road it will be an issue for someone. up

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 12/31/15 09:48 PM

Thank you TJP, I agree,thats why I DIDNT want to get into something that couldn't be fixed. Because as you stated..... sometimes S!@# happens, just wonder after getting called out what would happen if something happened to someones HIGH $$$ car such as what happened to your friends. Thanks

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 12:15 AM

Consider this question closed. I am not going to buy this car based on the opinions / advise in which I asked for from this forum. I asked this question because I did not want to invest or waste THOUSANDS of dollars on a car that had a clear TITLE (with VIN), registration with the SAME VIN, fender tag, cowl in GOOD SHAPE, radiator support and engine block and trans with all #s matching same as title. Only the dash tag is missing. Why someone took the dash and interior out and now dash is missing,.... I cant answer that, but that's why I asked you for input and advise. @JohnRR, it was never my thought and or intent to committing fraud in anyway shape or form. PERIOD!!!, I only came to this forum for help, in doing the right thing, I was cautious of buying and then NOT being able to get a dashtag , same as you would be I am sure. So please feel free to subtract my # from your post count. Thanks MoParts members for the ad

Doesn't matter if it has all those items , it has a VIN tag that was applied by the state , that is the only LEGIT VIN tag for that car now and if you were to remove it to replace it with a reproduced tag you would be tampering wit hthe VIN of the car and if you sold the car and didn't tell the buyer that is the FRAUD ... especially if you removed the state applied tag.

The good thing is you asked BEFORE buying it unlike the dummies that ask AFTER buying it.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 12:32 AM

I've only seen one or two cars that had state issued VINs and it has been a while since then. IIRC they were attached to the drivers side door jam, not the dash.
That being the case, would it be legal for an owner to put a repro tag with the car's VIN on the dash in the standard location, as long as the state issued VIN tag on the door jam was still left in place? stirthepot
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By Mastershake340
I've only seen one or two cars that had state issued VINs and it has been a while since then. IIRC they were attached to the drivers side door jam, not the dash.
That being the case, would it be legal for an owner to put a repro tag with the car's VIN on the dash in the standard location, as long as the state issued VIN tag on the door jam was still left in place? stirthepot

That's the question, now isn't it? I had to get a state issued VIN tag years ago, but it was on a 64 Chrysler so it's not comparable here. But I would be asking the authorities who inspect the VINs about doing this first, wouldn't want to get myself in any legal issues. Not to mention that even if he kept the state issued tag intact, it would still affect resale, or I would think so. Not sure there's an out that wouldn't have a potential bite in it here.

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 01:04 AM

What are you talking about State applied tag????? THERE IS NO TAG on the dash. THERE IS NO ORIGINAL DASH. Its gone, lost, poof, m.i.a., The only tag left is the original drivers door sticker that CLEARLY has the same VIN# on it as the title, the fender tag, cowl, radiator support that came from the FACTORY, not the state! GEEZ, how can I be any clearer on this. That is why I asked if anyone made a repro dash tag if someone had "verifiable documentation", because of this AND it being out of state I had State Police run the vehicles #s and it all came back clear, even to the last owners info. That's when I asked this forum. NOW, JohnRR since I cant get a dashtag remade, I am not going to buy this car. Thanks again, msg closed! Mastershake340, Ur 71 Challenger is a thing of beauty!!! Happy New Years everyone be safe
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 02:39 AM

Wouldn't be an Ohio issued vin would it? 10 years ago I had to get Ohio to give me a vin tag on a '71 Challenger. The previous jerk(owner) lost(?) it. Ohio BMV would have used an original vin tag but couldn't come up one so they used their own and riveted to the door jamb. The car was 100% legit other than the funny vin tag.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 04:31 AM

I THINK??? What John is trying to say is that the State applied VIN is now the LEGAL VIN for that car.
Obtaining a duplicate factory Vin that matches everything else is a plausible idea. However the current state assigned tag and title are what is considered LEGAL.
Obtaining and installing a reproduction tag for originality purposes is, or would be OK in my opinion, as long as one does not try to sell it that way. Unless of course you can get the DMV for the state you live in to reissue a new CLEAN title that uses that reproduction tag as the LEGAL VIN tag / number. It may be possible to accomplish depending on where you live and how sticky the Local DMV is. But even if it is possible it could still get sticky when selling the car due to it's title history. Hope this makes sense beer

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 05:15 AM

I think the OP is saying is has NO VIN tag at all, factory or state issued. It is missing, gone, not there, vanished, nada, zero, zilch, zip, etc.

Which is even worse. Let the seller get a legal VIN tag before you touch it much less buy it, imo.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 05:50 AM

This topic was quite amusing for the new year celebration. So many of you jump straight to accusations instead of actually reading the question at hand.

State issued registration NOT State issued VIN!

LOL, Carry on! Santa4

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By Stewpar
This topic was quite amusing for the new year celebration. So many of you jump straight to accusations instead of actually reading the question at hand. LOL, Carry on! Santa4

He who laughs last,

Didn't get the joke.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By Stewpar
This topic was quite amusing for the new year celebration. So many of you jump straight to accusations instead of actually reading the question at hand. LOL, Carry on! Santa4

He who laughs last,

Didn't get the joke.

I wasn't referring to you, as you actually understood and gave the best advice! up

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 06:26 AM

I know, I was just being cheeky
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 07:50 AM

30-some years ago I met a guy at a show who had an E-body (can't remember whether it was a Challenger or 'Cuda). As I recall it was a factory 340 car (still had a 340). Sometime earlier with a previous owner the dash pad was in bad shape so they went to a wrecking yard and got a good pad. They didn't even think about the VIN tag. New dash pad was from a higher level engine (recollection is that it was hemi, but could have been 383 or 440). I knew at the time the guy had a mess on his hands...
Posted By: jaque

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/01/16 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk
30-some years ago I met a guy at a show who had an E-body (can't remember whether it was a Challenger or 'Cuda). As I recall it was a factory 340 car (still had a 340). Sometime earlier with a previous owner the dash pad was in bad shape so they went to a wrecking yard and got a good pad. They didn't even think about the VIN tag. New dash pad was from a higher level engine (recollection is that it was hemi, but could have been 383 or 440). I knew at the time the guy had a mess on his hands...

very similar situation i brought to an owners attention once , 70 v code cuda had a vin on the pad that didnt match the fender tag or body numbers, as i looked around the car, i noticed that inside the door jamb the original dash vin plate was half a** riveted in, almost like when then car was done at the shop they just thought it went there, the guy looked like a ghost when i mentioned it to him.. he was lucky and still had the vin tag, but the whole time he owned the car up to that point he never noticed the dash vin on the car was wrong...
Posted By: Sublime70

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/02/16 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk

Higher level engine, a 383... Really??? You, just insulted all of us 340 folks.
Posted By: srt

Re: Dashpad VIN tags - 01/02/16 07:51 AM

I remember when many muscle cars languished in wrecking yards some stacked 4 deep like cord wood. In CA the owners of yards had to do paperwork to gain ownership (from individuals or insurance co's) in order to part out. I can remember seeing cars with the vins stripped from jamb or dash, I do not know if this was because of decommissioning a vehicle that was salvaged due to theft, wreck, flood, fire, etc.
I do not think a muscle car with salvage title or state issued vin is a big a problem as a similar with a fake dash or jamb tag. Historically it's the same car, and probably more significant if the reason for the salvage or re-issue history stayed with the car. I bet the subject car in this post has an interesting story.
An original #'s car will hold a premium because it remained intact. I think the op is wise to ask because there is many different views on the subject. Putting out big $ is an important decision and buying a car that many would find issue with has to be weighed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums