Moparts

ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT

Posted By: polara426

ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 11/24/15 02:19 AM

TPC Global says they no longer can mix the trunk paint for 65 B bodies does anyone know of someone else or a good alternative other than spray bomb.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 11/24/15 02:35 AM

is it a specific color you are looking for? you can buy Zolatone in lots of colors through Amazon, i just bought a few quarts of different colors

Re: ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 11/24/15 02:41 AM

Yes DX1734 Grey white blue. 64 and 65 b body
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 11/30/15 12:25 AM

You are probably looking for a factory correct mixture. In which case this might not be helpful but when resto'ing my '65 Satellite I found an acceptable rattle can product at NAPA, or maybe it was Advance Autoparts.
There were a couple color choices.
I picked gray/black/white. It had a decent build-up and looks adequate.
- Art

Re: ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 11/30/15 12:58 AM

Thanks might have to do that. Anyone else find Zolatone for early b.
Posted By: moparx

Re: ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 11/30/15 03:03 PM

in order for that stuff to be durable, doesn't it have to be cleared over ? or is the newer stuff better at durability ?
beer
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 12/01/15 12:38 AM

The rattle can crap is usually a mix of oil/and water base paint to stay separated and achieve the look and will need to be cleared.

Zolatone is specically designed and does not need a clear, they do have a catalyst that hardens it further and makes it more durable.

I would choose a similar/maybe not "correct" color and still use the Zolatone brand paint because it is so durable and looks much nicer than rattle can.

Re: ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 12/01/15 04:23 AM

I agree I used it my 64 Dodge and has held up well and looks factory. I know Moshers uses it in their restorations. I will see if they have something close.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: ZOLATONE TRUNK PAINT - 12/01/15 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By modelmakerinc
The rattle can crap ….. will need to be cleared.

Not the stuff I used, but maybe depends on the result you want.

This is an automotive paint product by Dupli-Color, called Splatter Paint Speckle Finish, "Restores Trunk Finish". The color I used was DM100 Gray/White.
Directions say nothing about top coating it. It's been as durable I need it to be.

Here it is in the background of this "electrical" photo.
Cheers, - Art

© 2024 Moparts Forums