Moparts

Door hinge re-pin

Posted By: mro

Door hinge re-pin - 11/23/15 09:44 PM

69 RR, Popped out the original pins. Do I drill the holes to take the bushings and then use the original pins or do I do something else. The kit came with 2 new pins and 4 bushings. Thanks.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Door hinge re-pin - 11/23/15 09:56 PM

If the holes are round I use them as is but most are worn to oval shape and need bushings.

Bushings go on the inner bracket.

I have a drill bit long enough to go all the way through both sides. This keeps them straighter when installed.

Place the bushings with the flange side toward the outside.

If by some chance the outer bracket holes are worn you have to weld and drill them round. If the pin won't retain then you will have to tack weld the top in place.

Sounds a lot harder then it actually is.
Posted By: mro

Re: Door hinge re-pin - 11/28/15 01:59 PM

The upper hinges are a breeze. The bottoms - I don't see how to do this without drilling them - which is not a problem - BUT the bushings are to thick to put on the inner bracket. Is the idea to drill both lower parts and bushing it from the top?
Posted By: dvw

Re: Door hinge re-pin - 11/29/15 05:59 PM

Drill them. I've even used GM pick-up truck kits to repair them. Drill the hole for a snug press fit. Use a 5/16" bolt & nut, 2 flat washers, and a 13mm socket as a receiver. The socket will allow the bushing to be pressed through the hole in the hinge.
Doug
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Door hinge re-pin - 12/01/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By IMGTX
If the holes are round I use them as is but most are worn to oval shape and need bushings.

Bushings go on the inner bracket.

I have a drill bit long enough to go all the way through both sides. This keeps them straighter when installed.

Place the bushings with the flange side toward the outside.

If by some chance the outer bracket holes are worn you have to weld and drill them round. If the pin won't retain then you will have to tack weld the top in place.

Sounds a lot harder then it actually is.

Yep.... what he said
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Door hinge re-pin - 12/01/15 07:55 AM

You can rebuild the lowers to the same style as original without bushings using this kit or similar. Drilling and reaming are required.

http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DrHingeRebuildKit&cat=17
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Door hinge re-pin - 12/01/15 03:21 PM

I put the bushings on the inner part. I grind a little off of both pieces to get a snug fit. Just takes a few thousands.
Posted By: Vert

Re: Door hinge re-pin - 12/01/15 06:31 PM

I like the RestoRick kit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums