Moparts

OEM underhood light with retractable cable????

Posted By: Kern Dog

OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 12:40 AM

I want to add a lamp under the hood of my 70 Charger. There are times where it is dark and holding a flashlight isn't practical. I recall seeing some car awhile ago that had a detachable underhood light with a cord that allowed you to position the light where you needed it. Does anyone have any additional info on this or something like it?
Posted By: Charger69RT8

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 12:59 AM

I had a friend with an early 80's F150 that had one like that. Only one I've ever seen. Always thought that was a great little feature. To my knowledge is was factory, but that's been 35 years, so memory may fail me.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 01:07 AM

Early Datsun Z cars had them,I remember seeing them on ford trucks also & other vehicles in the past,I have 2 NOS 50s GM accessory ones.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 01:11 AM

My favorite is from the Datsun Z cars, yards used to be full of them but I haven't gone looking for years.

Attached picture $_1.jpg
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 01:25 AM

I remember them.Thay worked well.
Posted By: Digger73

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 01:26 AM

If you want to keep it all MoPar. Dodge trucks in the 80's had them. Larger than the Datsun unit though.

Digger73 (Mike)
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 02:03 AM

IIRC my '89 Wagoneer had one too. Worked by a mercury switch. Open the hood and it lit up. Retractable cable reached 10' at least.
Posted By: 1E2C

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 02:45 AM

Got one in an 84 Ram I just picked up, not sure it's original, but I'm thinking maybe Mopar accessory??
Mike
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 02:54 AM

90's Chevrolet trucks had a under hood light that was sort of bulky but it could be rolled back up with a built in crank on it.
Matt

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By mattsmopars
90's Chevrolet trucks had a under hood light that was sort of bulky but it could be rolled back up with a built in crank on it.
Matt

Hmmm.... I just saw this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-98-1-Under-Hood-Work-Light-or-Parts-Silverado-Sierra-SUV-/261503405075?hash=item3ce2d14c13:g:XqkAAOSw4bVTmFKX&vxp=mtr

Pretty cool, huh?
Posted By: RJS

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 04:58 AM

I remember early 60's Pontiac's with them. I think it was a 64 Tempest.
Ron
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 05:39 AM

I have an '89 Chevy full size pick up (K2500) that has one.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 08:17 AM

All 4 of my 1990 ramcharger le or ram 150 le trucks had the recoil type mounted to the lower side of hood. G M trucks had the wind it back in type mounted on inner fender kindof.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 11:12 AM

Late 80's Jeeps had a unit with a wire reel.

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 12:46 PM

I am impressed to see far more options than I expected. Thanks everyone! thumbs
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 01:10 PM

Why not get a simple mountable head light you can strap to your noggin'?
Would be handy in more places than just the car.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
I am impressed to see far more options than I expected. Thanks everyone! thumbs

Here is the one I recall seeing as a tech, had a magnet too if I remember.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-cherokee-comanche-underhood-light-/161894448271?hash=item25b1a93c8f:g:T-MAAOSwp5JWUPPz&vxp=mtr

Different brand here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60S-70S-80S-CHEVY-TRUCK-FORD-MOPAR-JEEP-UNDER-HOOD-RETRACTABLE-TROUBLE-LIGHT-/231757965104?hash=item35f5d9e730:g:7ncAAMXQgfZRCYIR&vxp=mtr
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/22/15 06:24 PM

Do you have a phone with a flash/flashlight? Likely it's going to have better light than a little underhood light..
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/23/15 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
Originally Posted By mattsmopars
Matt

Hmmm.... I just saw this!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-98-1-Under-Hood-Work-Light-or-Parts-Silverado-Sierra-SUV-/261503405075?hash=item3ce2d14c13:g:XqkAAOSw4bVTmFKX&vxp=mtr

Pretty cool, huh?

Most GM trucks and full size vans had that or something similar even earlier then 94. They do seize up tho.
Posted By: 69 charger man

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/23/15 09:17 PM

Maybe try one of these. It’s from a Chevy but will light under the hood nicely. All you have to do its make sure it’s grounded an run the other wire to a positive source.

Attached picture chevy under hood light.png
Posted By: moparx

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/24/15 02:47 PM

does it absolutely need to be a bolt on underhood light ? i remember seeing a plug into your cigarette lighter["power port"] deal that had a magnetic mount as well as a swivel [leg type] support that you use to aim it where you want. i think it was advertised in a camper supply catalog, and it was pretty reasonable price wise. or even one of those "snake lights" ? i have one of those my wife got me, and it comes with a lighter port plug as well as a 110 plug for recharging. it's light is pretty dang bright and the magnets are very strong and will clamp to almost anything, allowing the flex head "snake" to properly position to light up whatever you need to illuminate. just throwing out a couple of options you may want to consider.
beer
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/24/15 08:54 PM

My 70 D100 has one but I don't think it is original.

Attached picture Untitled.jpg
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: OEM underhood light with retractable cable???? - 11/24/15 09:18 PM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYNQQNS/ref=...=I1MIZP23W87DSB

This plus a tie wrap or two fastened to underside of hood is the best that I've come up with.

This is an excellent general purpose light. Owned for 1 year and still impressed with it,

Great stocking stuffer gift for your car buff or handyman pals.
© 2024 Moparts Forums