Moparts

Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car?

Posted By: BigAg

Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 12:09 AM

I am missing one of the heater hose fittings on my water pump. This is a 71 charger with a 69 440 in it. What makes this an odd pairing is the fitting on the firewall are a 5/8" and a 1/2". It looks like the correct fittings for a 69 engine are 2 5/8" fittings. Is this normally worked around by buying a convertor or is there a fitting that works for this that I just haven't found.

Here is a picture of the water pump with the missing fitting

Here is the firewall with the different sized fittings.

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 12:17 AM

Common hardware store plumbing fittings/reducer bushings/nipples work well but are somewhat unsightly. On the nipple that you slide the heater hose on I smooth the threads to protect the hose & leave a raised edge on the outer end of the nipple to help with hose retention (just like the OE Mopar fittings have)
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 12:43 AM

Get the fittings for '70 up big block motors. Herbs, Mega, etc. all carry them.
The 1/2" fitting has a 1/4 pipe thread so you'll need to use a pipe bushing from that size up to the thead in the water pump housing. IIRC it's 3/8 pipe thread. Home Depot sells them in brass. I got my nipples from Herbs.

http://www.herbsparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HNK-2

The longer 5/8" fitting goes in the lower empty hole in your pic. The short 1/2" fitting goes in the hole up top where you have an old 5/8" fitting.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: ahy

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 12:47 AM

Mancini has them also. Worst case you may need a reducer bushing in the WP housing but that is not very noticeable.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 01:28 AM

Agreed, the correct nipple is far better & a plumbing reducer bushing as needed

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 01:29 AM

Home Depot also sells these internal pipe wrenches. These are great for pulling and installing the nipples.

Attached picture image.jpeg
Posted By: BigAg

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 04:47 PM

This is probally a dumb questions but is there anything special to screwing the fitting in? Any special mopar Gel or so to prevent it from leaking?
Posted By: crlush

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 04:56 PM

If i know i will never take it out, i use red loctite.

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 05:06 PM

They are pipe threads so teflon tape or pipe thread sealant work fine.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By BigAg
This is probally a dumb questions but is there anything special to screwing the fitting in? Any special mopar Gel or so to prevent it from leaking?

It's a pipe thread , it sort of is supposed to self seal , but you can put some type of pipe thread sealant /lube on it and screw it in , then clean off what is exposed before painting.

I bought a fitting that from a member in Maine a few years back that was made to fit the larger hole of the WP housing and go down to the smaller hose size.

I also made one , I found a HELP fitting that was the larger thread , and 5/8 hose but the internal hole was the size of a 1/2" barb,I chucked it in a lathe and turned it down to 1/2" barb size.

I still have it kicking around.
Posted By: charge70

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 08:20 PM

Mega Parts makes an adapter hose nipple to use a 69-down waterpump housing on a 70-up car.Their part# is 132-HC010.Good people to deal with. John.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/06/15 09:40 PM

Any farm/ag/equipment shop should have a good selection of brass fittings and be able to get you a 1/2" barbed hose fitting for 3/8 NPT thread. The Fariview part would be 125-8C if it is indeed a 3/8 thread. That plus a tube of permatex thread sealant and you should be out the door for only a few dollars.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Heater hose fitting mismatch between engine and car? - 11/07/15 12:28 AM

Hit any autoparts store and order 4 seansons pt # 84712
Its the right threads for the pump and the right size the heater hose

problem solved
© 2024 Moparts Forums