Moparts

Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal

Posted By: dart440

Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/28/15 01:05 AM

So, any of you guys in SoCal have a place you take your stainless and aluminum trim for polishing??? I don't have the time/patience to do it myself. I'm located in Antelope Valley, but I can drive it somewhere (into LA or out to Victorville, Bakersfield, etc.) if not too far (100 mile radius). Prefer to keep it in the area. I've done the Google search. I'm looking for recommendations of good quality/reasonable price. Thanks in advance!!!
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/28/15 01:20 AM

Jeff OzHemi has a place where they polish the wheels he exports. Shoot him a pm and he will get back with you.

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/28/15 01:27 AM

thanks
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/28/15 03:42 AM

The place I use is excellent, but they don't do trim, pretty much just aluminum stuff.. mainly wheels and components, but also any assorted engine or cast/machined aluminum stuff you could have.

(I am in the middle of loading containers now actually and just had them do a bunch of wheels outers for me recently)
Posted By: CKessel

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/28/15 04:14 AM

A friend of mine is getting into the trim business. Just stainless for now. Aluminum will be a ways down the road. Contact Chuck 951-541-3886. He is in Temecula.
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/28/15 04:57 AM

I have used these guys for years. They are in Rialto CA, Call before you head down as he now works limited days. It won't be the fastest but the quality is number one.

http://mjbchrome.com/

They did the chrome on this bumper.

Posted By: ns1aar

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/29/15 04:16 AM

When MJB was to busy they referred me to this one parts came out nice

Sihilling Charles Metal Polishing

1018 E Chestnut Ave
Santa Ana, CA 92701
(714) 543-7051
Posted By: reno340

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/29/15 06:42 AM

I did my own. It wasn't that difficult and it is pretty rewarding. Took me a few hours and it was done!
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/29/15 10:34 AM

When having professionally done a frame off restoration of our 300 B, the only thing that stood out in my mind was that the stainless trim(there is a lot of it on these cars) was not the the top concours standard of the rest of the car.

After living with it a few years and considering various very costly options to remove, polish and re-install the stainless I decided to do it myself, even with my extremely limited experience in such a formidable task.

Acquired a top level Baldor buffer and stand from Eastwood along with various sanding papers, buffing pads, polishes and various books on the topic,,,,this in the pre-tube days. U Tube offers is your friend today.

Removed all the trim, set up shop in my driveway,,,you can really dirty up a garage and must be aware of flying parts as you learn.

Some 6 weeks and 200 hours labor and learning and re-doing, I was done and extremely pleased with the outcome. Often at Concour events and other such car shows I am asked who did the car's stainless and can I give the phone number.

Give a man a fish, he can feast today, teach him how to fish, he can feast for a lifetime.

The skill I learned(Not the best but pretty darn good) i have often used over the years to my great advantage and satisfaction and of course my pocketbook.

Reno340 has it completely correct. You may surprise yourself as I did.

However if you still decide you must pay someone to do it, do not try to cheap out. There is much 2nd and 3rd level workmanship out there. Poor level stainless just as with poor chrome can severely compromise the best body and paint efforts put into a car. Go to some events and closely examine the stainless on the cars, you will rapidly learn quality.

Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/29/15 11:17 AM

Few shots of 300 B stainless polishing project. Photos were taken in 2003 with a digital camera from about 2000 or so, quality a bit murky.

Photos are with some of the stainless removed, I did the job in stages and would reinstall pieces upon finishing them. There is a whole lot around the windows, plus front windshield and rear glass.

I would place a very large piece of cardboard under the buffer each day when moving it outside. This would catch the majority of filth thrown off the buffing wheel, making it easy to dump into trash. Also would keep the buffer stand from moving about and lessen noise. The corner of one photo shows the Baldor buffer and stand. I believe is about 3/4 hp, not very big but completely adequate for the job.

Posted By: minivan

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/29/15 09:01 PM

Sxrxrnr, tell us more about your vette???

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/29/15 09:42 PM

1971 small block(now 4 bolt, 400 ci destroked with LT 1 crank), Doug Nash 5 sp. All options including A/C and leather. Some drag racing in early days, low 12's at 112 mph. Ran bracket 2. Not concours, but still shows well in local car shows and Goodguys events.

One photo below is not long after buying in 1972. Note Ansen mags(yea I Know) and mild flairs front and rear(know again, but this was over 40 years ago). Shoulda bought a Hemi Cuda convertible instead. We all know now!

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/29/15 09:44 PM

71 Vette as is now

Posted By: minivan

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/30/15 12:28 AM

TY Great pics LOL

OK, now whats the deal with the last pic?? What is that 60? or older doing.( cant remember what year they changed to the newer rear body...

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/30/15 12:46 AM

Thanks all for the recommendations. MJB might be my best choice as it's on the way down to San Diego for me and they do both stainless and aluminum.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/30/15 02:15 AM

Shine On Me Restorations in San Clemente

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/31/15 03:02 AM

59 Vette resto mod.

Posted By: 1970mopar

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/31/15 07:02 AM

I second Shine On Me Restorations in San Clemente.

I had them do some aluminum and stainless trim for a 68 Hemi roadrunner last year. top notch work. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Stainless Trim & Aluminum Trim Polishing - SoCal - 10/31/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By 1970mopar
I second Shine On Me Restorations in San Clemente.

I had them do some aluminum and stainless trim for a 68 Hemi roadrunner last year. top notch work. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.

They did my GTS finish panel
© 2024 Moparts Forums