Moparts

Wierd Electrical Problem

Posted By: jeebis44

Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 02:55 AM

Stock '66 Chrysler 300 w/ 383 4bbl. When I turn the key to start the engine, it makes a click and the whole car loses power. Disconnect battery and reconnect, car has power. Try to crank and same thing happens. Have tried 2 different batteries, one of them brand new. No luck

Any ideas?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 03:07 AM

Battery cables loose or dirty on one end or the other. Check the cables at the starter relay and starter also.
Posted By: tman

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 03:21 AM

How is the Battery itself?

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 03:27 AM

Batteries are fully charged - work fine in my '66 Fury III

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 03:28 AM

All connections are clean and snug. Could it be a bad starter relay?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 03:43 AM

Don't see how a bad starter relay would kill power to the entire car.
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By stumpy
Battery cables loose or dirty on one end or the other. Check the cables at the starter relay and starter also.

... and the ground(s).

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 04:11 AM

Will check all grounds in the morning. It is very strange how disconnecting then reconnecting the battery restores power to the car.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 04:34 AM

That is where the problem is, in the connections at the battery terminals, or where you are flexing the cables moving them to changing the batteries.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 06:07 AM

What Nanket said & if good in that large cable system then next time it goes dead see if you have fire at the alt "batt" stud & you might seperate/check/clean the bulkhead and check the ammeter terminals in that path. For it to be completely dead there would need to be an open between the batt positive post to/thru the bulkhead & to/thru the ammeter to the "welded splice". Bulkhead/ammeter are culprits & with it going completely open/dead you'll easily see it (poor/loose connection/terminal) with some checking
Posted By: tman

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 07:12 AM

If the battery cables are old, sometimes they turn into that nasty green stuff or corrosion under the insulation. They look good from the outside, but look like crap inside. Someone posted something similar, but changed out all his battery cables and all was good.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 02:24 PM

I agree. I have had a bad ground cable do something similar.
it wouldn't start at all.
crushing the cable by bending it 90 degrees at the block got it running again, but I swapped it out and all was good after that.

you can prove it to yourself by running a new seperate ground to the block and checking your lights come back without disconnecting the battery.
use a good large gauge wire if you have it.

Re: Wierd Electrical Problem - 10/27/15 09:22 PM

Thanks for the help guys - long story short it was a bad ground. The Block/Body cable had corroded in half! Replaced that and cleaned up the battery/block connection and all is well again.
© 2024 Moparts Forums