Moparts

Does the dash need to come out for heater box

Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Does the dash need to come out for heater box - 10/17/15 06:14 AM

On my 1971 Charger, does the dash need to come out to remove the heater box? I wanna restore the box, heater core, and evaporator. My car has A/C also.
Posted By: Big Wedge

Re: Does the dash need to come out for heater box - 10/17/15 01:57 PM

It shouldn't. I have done a 68 dart and 70 Challenger. There are not that many fasteners holding it in. If my memory serves me correct, there are the nuts on the heater motor on the firewall (engine compartment side) and a long "J" style rod through the passenger's vent. Once the box is lowered a little bit, the cables and electrical can be disconnected.

Garth
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Does the dash need to come out for heater box - 10/17/15 03:16 PM

Nope the dash doesn't need to come out on your 71
Posted By: attaboy

Re: Does the dash need to come out for heater box - 10/18/15 03:21 AM

No, the dash doesn't need to come out but it's a pain getting everything out from under it, especially if you have with A/C. I had to remove one of the vac valves to get it out completely and then reinstall. Be mindful of the vac tubing connections and routing. Be very careful of the plastic [censored] on the control valve and connector(they're brittle). Console has to come out, so does the radio, glove box, and most of the passenger ductwork. It can be done but it does take some real effort.
attaboy
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Does the dash need to come out for heater box - 10/19/15 04:09 PM

Yes you can get it out with the dash in the car. But your back is going to hate when its done
© 2024 Moparts Forums