Moparts

Dash insert : Gauge layout UPDATE

Posted By: dart67

Dash insert : Gauge layout UPDATE - 01/25/09 04:13 PM

I'm gonna try to post 3 pics of how I might lay out the gauges. Which one might look best?

Kevin

Attached picture 4971964-dashinsert12reduced.JPG

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 04:14 PM

Attached picture 4971965-dashinsert11reduced.JPG

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 04:15 PM

Attached picture 4971967-dashinsert10reduced.JPG
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 04:22 PM

I like 3 the best.

Even though it makes logical sense to put the tach on the right...you almost never see it like that. I'd put it on the left so when I jumped out of my dialy driver to the hotrod...no confusion.

have you considered tach/speedo on left, then 4 small gauges to the right, but not in a row. two stacked on top of the other two?

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 04:30 PM

No, I haven't. I'll lay it out and take a look. I bought some angle rings for the smaller gauges. I'm not sure iof I can get an angle ring for the 5" gauges.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 04:33 PM

I like the 3rd one the best, symmetry looks good. And probably easier to see the oil psi and temp gauges at a glance if they are higher up like the top gauges in the 3rd pic.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 04:42 PM

This might make a difference. In pic 3, the area where the radio is supposed to be is vacant. As of now, the radio will not be in the dash, leaving nothing to fill the void. Change any thoughts? Opinions and changes are very welcome.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 04:45 PM

Good idea on the oil and water.

I looked in my truck and now realize the thought on the tach location.
Posted By: A38s!

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 05:54 PM

2. FWIW, I dislike the wheel blocking gauge views.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you lik - 01/25/09 10:39 PM

This one is easier on my little brain -

Posted By: wings471

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 10:57 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna try to post 3 pics of how I might lay out the gauges. Which one might look best?

Make sure you put the gauge layout in the dash pod and sit in the drivers seat to determine how easy the various gauges can be seen. It sucks having to dodge around trying to see the oil press. or water temp. or whatever because the wheel blocks your line of sight. God, I learn EVERYTHING the HARD way. I'ts going to look great when your done.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 11:06 PM

Thanks wings! I hope so. I'm too particular for my own good. Took me forever to get started, and the only reason I was able to is because I have a great neighbor who came over, took a look, and started shooting out ideas.

I'm not concerned about getting finished....I call myself taking care of my mom. She's 82 and really not able to be alone.This car helps me to remain sane....I think.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 11:08 PM

Hey, Wings! That is a beautiful ride you have. I checked out the photo bucket link.
Posted By: wings471

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/25/09 11:31 PM

Quote:

Hey, Wings! That is a beautiful ride you have. I checked out the photo bucket link.

Thanks for the compliment Kevin. I fabbed my instrument panel as well and after I had finished it I had to switch to a stock steering wheel so I could view all the gauges without having to move my head back and forth.... I had a nice little Grant wheel when I started off.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/26/09 12:25 AM

Yep, I'm in the same boat. Small Grant and blocks about everything. Seems like I take 2 steps forward and one back on a consistant basis.....but that's O.K.

If you don't mind my asking, did you buy another aftermarket, or go back stock? Edit: I just re-read your post.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/26/09 12:34 AM

On the sides, where I welded them onto the main part of the insert, what would you use to smooth out the area after I grind down the welds? Bondo?
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/26/09 12:36 AM

I like 2 myself.
Posted By: Kilroy was here

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/26/09 01:21 AM

First look, I like 3.

But 1 would look good if the small gauges were on the same level. Gauge 'F' is higher, the other small gauges are lower.

And as another one said, make sure the steering wheel doesn't block the view.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/26/09 01:28 AM

Below and to the left of the fuel gauge in pic 1 is the headlight switch. That was why I put the fuel gauge in that spot......
Posted By: sycboi

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/26/09 02:12 AM

Layout number 2 for sure...

-Michael
Posted By: DartGTDan

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/26/09 08:51 PM

dart67,

The attached photo shows my plan. I put the Oil Pressure between the Tach & Speedo. This also allows me to put the Oil Lamp directly above the gauge and between the turn signal indicators. Food for thought.

Attached picture 4975011-Panel-1.JPG

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/26/09 11:59 PM

Thanks Dan! I appreciate the help! I bought angle rings for the smaller gauges....that's what is keeping me from putting the bigger gauge farther out. But I might have to re-think that approach.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/27/09 12:01 AM

Dan, where does your headlight switch go?
Posted By: challenger70

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/27/09 05:35 PM

Quote:

dart67,

The attached photo shows my plan. I put the Oil Pressure between the Tach & Speedo. This also allows me to put the Oil Lamp directly above the gauge and between the turn signal indicators. Food for thought.

I wouldn't put the fuel between the tach and speedo like you have it in the second one. When things get interesting your only going to want critical information and having the oil pressure between the tach and speedo makes more sense to me.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/27/09 09:08 PM

I like two...for the sole purpose that the others dont have enough meat between the 5" gauges, it will be weak right there....

Where will your radio go? I had my two 5" Autometers with a Vac Gauge btween them dead cent with driver...off to the right I had the two water, Volts....over the other two...Fuel, Oil Pressure...Then the radio in the regular position and the heater controls right above...

I'll upload a pic if you life....Mine more or less looked like a 69 A-Body 340 Rallye Dash

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/27/09 10:39 PM

I've been thinking about putting the radio in the glovebox........

Sure would like to see the pic of your dash.

Would you use bondo to smooth over the welds on the sides?
Posted By: DartGTDan

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/28/09 12:05 AM

Quote:

Dan, where does your headlight switch go?

dart67,

I plan on putting my headlamp & wiper motor switches, in the dash frame, to the right of the gauge cluster, left of the HVAC/Radio. I know I'll have to "stretch" the headlamp switch wires, but the wiper motor switch should have plenty of length.

Dan
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 01/31/09 12:10 PM

Quote:

I've been thinking about putting the radio in the glovebox........

Sure would like to see the pic of your dash.

Would you use bondo to smooth over the welds on the sides?

I'd use fiberglass, that's how I covered the mountings on my dash. I never got to finish my dash but I had made the flat panel for the glove box as well and was ready to start updating the car with modern equipment like a handbrake, LEDs, etc.. more pics are on my website linked below

if you are interested in the angular bezels thy come in a variety of colors and sizes. I got mine from Rex Marine in Riverside, Ca. I even picked up all the angular bezels in anodized blue for my 76-85 Jeep....and I haven't even bought the Jeep yet....One day

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout,3 pics, which do you like? - 02/01/09 03:30 PM

Thanks for the pic! Been off the net for a few days. Ice storm and no power. Got a generator going.

I like your set-up......when things get back to normal around here, I'm gonna give mine another look.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES - 02/18/09 01:40 AM

What do you think? I know it's not one of the original 3.

Attached picture 5033224-dashinsert20.JPG

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES - 02/18/09 01:42 AM

In the car.

Attached picture 5033234-dashinsert21.JPG

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES UPDATE - 02/18/09 01:45 AM

I decided to try this because I can see the gauges easily. I don't think it looks the best of the 4, but it's functional. I'm not done, and might still make changes. The heater controls will go under the 3 gauges on the right.

Kevin
Posted By: vynn3

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES UPDATE - 02/18/09 09:00 PM

Nice work!

vm
Posted By: redruM

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES UPDATE - 02/19/09 02:12 AM

Looks great. IMO I would grind the welds and coat it with mud, I really don't see a need to glass it. Shape the bondo, glaze coat, prime, block, prime, paint. Also, I would have welded the back side. But it will look great when its installed, nice work.
Posted By: Kilroy was here

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES UPDATE - 02/19/09 03:25 AM

Looks REALLY good.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES UPDATE - 02/19/09 04:27 AM

Looks good to me. And besides, doesn't matter how it looks if you can't see the gauges.

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES UPDATE - 02/19/09 10:08 PM

I hope it turns out good. Think I will go with the mud.

What type paint would you use? Thinking about a black dash pad, gunmetal ( Same as outside of car ) dash frame. Black insert? Or maybe the krinkle? type paint? Ideas????

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES UPDATE - 02/21/09 12:16 PM

Any ideas on paint?
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Dash insert : Gauge layout CHANGES UPDATE - 02/21/09 01:46 PM

That layout looks good. A plumbing supply place may have plastic pipe or a fitting you can use to make angle rings. That's what I did.

Attached picture 5041299-Publication1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums