Moparts

Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter.

Posted By: Fluffy

Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 01:03 AM

How long is too long before just not doing it? There's 130k on the vehicle now, and it's been had since 70k. Should the fluid/filter be done or would I be headed down the road of tearing it up faster?
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 01:19 AM

Is this a tow vehicle ? .. what does the fluid look like now?

And from what I have heard .... those flush-jobs are most-times a total and complete waste of money.

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 01:21 AM

Nah, it's just a daily driver, no towing. I have to check the fluid in the morning.

It's not mine, but it doesn't have shifting problems or anything. I'd just like to prolong the life if possible.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 01:35 AM

I do the service every 30K, every 15K if I tow with it.
Posted By: earlybee

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 03:30 AM

130k miles, leave it alone.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 03:50 AM

I remember that thread on changing trans fluid but I've never lost sleep because I was changing fluids(on anything) too often. renews additives/detergents/flushes contaminates/dirt. Change it!

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 03:52 AM

If it's a little dirty, I'm more concerned for whatever reason adding new fluid will just make it slip or what not.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 05:35 AM

On a stocker daily driver, if the fluid's clean I don't change it unless the trans leaks. Drove transmissions that've been sitting in the bush for 20 years on their original fluid.
Posted By: snuggles

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 02:15 PM

I would leave it. Last one I did the trans went a couple days after.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 03:45 PM

I changed the trans filter on my van at about 115,000, the fluid was dark red, not brown, i added new fluid to top it off and i've got another 10,000 on it now with no issues. I was nervous flushing the whole system as i've heard bad things about doing it on older vehicles and i don't think the fluid had ever been changed before.
Posted By: Runnin74

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/25/09 04:11 PM

Just had the van (01 Caravan) done before Christmas and it has 130k miles. I bought the filter and fluid and and had an independent shop do the change. I had them just change the fluid - no flush. It has been fine. No problems. I will do it myself in the future, but I had to go on the road and didn't have the time.
Posted By: convertriple

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/26/09 03:00 AM

I went about 80000 miles between changes on my old driver after I bought it at 111,xxx. I was nervous, but I changed it at about 190,xxx and it was still going at 267,xxx when I sold it.
Posted By: farmington

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/26/09 03:39 AM

problem with the flush is it gets all of the crap that has settled in the pan circulating and that can cause problems down the line. If you want to change it and change the filter, that's ok. don't flush.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Transmission Fluid Flush/Filter. - 01/26/09 07:19 AM

I always flush mine myself and this flush won't stir crap up but change the filter first anyway. Take the pressure line off by the cooler, trace the front line on the trans, and put a clear hose on it and have it dump in a bucket. Start it up and keep adding fluid until it comes out clear. It's better to run it in neutral as it circulates through the converter that way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums