Moparts

Recommend a harmonic balancer to me

Posted By: DaveRS23

Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 01:47 AM

Street/strip 499" rb, 6,500 rpm max. I see SFI certified dampers priced anywhere from just over $100 to well over $400. I am so confused as to which one to get and why. Any enlightenment here would really be appreciated. Basically which one and why. Thanks!
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 01:53 AM

Do not cut cost here, Get A ATI super and forget it.
Mine is 23 years old and sent it back once for rebuild, cost $60.00 just to be safe
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 02:16 AM

He wants to know WHY he should buy one over another. I'd like to know, too.
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 02:36 AM

I have heard of problems with the Fluid filled ones leaking . rattlers coming apart. So I would ask this question in the race forum to get more input from users of all styles.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 02:53 AM

Still got the stock one on my warmed over 318, been spinnin up to 7000 for year's with no issues yet
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 04:59 AM

ATI

Posted By: therocks

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 11:53 AM

We have Summits SFIs on 3 cars.No problems in 6 years.Rocky
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 03:41 PM

I've had a TCI Rattler on my RB for over 15 years now. Still in one piece.....that's about all I can tell you.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 03:55 PM

I have a fluid damper I'd say buy a good one.
Talked with a guy at the track once and he said he had a CAT fail in the garage Lucky but his best friend's CAT failed on the way down the track and that was the end of a $12,000 motor???
I had a damper failour on a 542 but it was 100% my fault (took one from a crank that was oversize a bit so I honed the crap out of it and it fit perfect but cheaping out on my 542 I wanted to use it and it was not a tight fit and it rattled that block right apart after 80 runs. evn with a crank girdle and aluminum main caps it split the bolt holes in half and right up into ever cylinder)
I just bought a new Fluid Damp for my 452 last spring and when I get my new 542 done next spring it gets it's own new fluid damper.
Dam violins in the background!!! LOL!!!
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 05:29 PM

Summit sells Pioneer SFI balancers. I've run a small block version for years with no problems or bearing issues. They use the OEM rubber sandwich design which has worked very well and lasted for so many years. Now with better technology, they should be better.

Summit - Big Block Mopar SFI balancer
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Recommend a harmonic balancer to me - 01/24/09 05:38 PM

© 2024 Moparts Forums