Moparts

Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car?

Posted By: 440mopar

Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/08/15 10:25 PM

Another thought came to mind last night as my car gets closer to being painted. I never use the windshield washer on it and doubt I ever will. Additionally, of the 15 or so Mopars I have owned over the last 20 years, to the best of my recollection I have never used the windshield washers on any of them either. In fact, on most of them I never even put washer fluid in the bottles. Most of them were original type cars though so I would never have considered removing the washers anyway. But, being this car is more or less going to be a hot rod, I'm now thinking maybe I will do away with the windshield washer bottle and related parts (and weld up the screw holes) in order to clean up the engine compartment a little bit. Not sure if I should so I'm just curious if anyone else here has done away with your windshield washer system and if so, are you glad you did?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/08/15 10:48 PM

I did ... but on a couple occasions regretted it. But I like the idea of cleaning up the engine compartment so when the car goes back together this time the washer bottle will be in the trunk and I'll try to figure a way to add squirters to the wipers and route the lines accordingly.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/08/15 10:54 PM

an 89 Dodge Ram uses squirters that slip onto the wiper arm, that's how I added washers to my 64 300.

Here's an aftermarket kit that is similar

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cdc-112050/overview/
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/08/15 10:56 PM

Mine was gone when I bought the car years ago and I never put one back on. No issues here.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 12:21 AM

Never reinstalled mine after resto... The lines looked to me like they would just scratch paint and collect dirt..

Might eventually reinstall the tank, just for looks

Attached picture DSCF0140.JPG
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 03:27 PM

I think I'd rather do a hidden/remote install before deleting all together. But, I drive my stuff and occasionally get caught by rain. And as wet roads dry out, mist kicked up by other cars is grimey and can leave the window foggy and hazy. It's nice to hit them with washer fluid to clean it off. Plus, in the summer time, bugs leave a mess on the windshield too.
Posted By: feets

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 03:36 PM

I'm with Tom on this. None of my old cars had functioning systems but I sure wanted it a time or two.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 03:49 PM

I guess it all depends on where you live , some states a working wwasher system is part of the SAFETY inspection and you'll fail if it's not present on a car that had one .

I don't know when the feds mandated it ?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 04:19 PM

no inspection here in maryland on classic cars
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 05:12 PM

I deleted it or the inner fender wells were too rusty to hold it anymore and carried a gallon jug of water or windshield solvent depending on the time of year in the back floor for the windshield if I needed it for that or for the radiator that leaked some when I was younger in several challengers when they were daily drivers.

Then when I started getting older and driving my 2 classic cars that made it through the years, I started going back to stock on that kind of stuff and now get off on stuff working on our older cars.

Sucks getting old! laugh2
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 05:23 PM

I have them and they work on most everything and I use them regularly so cant imagine them not working or being removed. However I did have one car in the past that I rerouted them to spray VHT directly infront of the rear tires for street racing. A friend rerouted his to dispense Jim Beam from the ash tray hole on his party Suburban, actually worked really well, stop by Micky Ds grab a coke plenty of ice only half coke and top it off in the drive through. Yes, stupid but unfortunately that wasn't the worst thing we did. "No officer there's no liquor in the truck."

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By mopar346
I have them and they work on most everything and I use them regularly so cant imagine them not working or being removed. However I did have one car in the past that I rerouted them to spray VHT directly infront of the rear tires for street racing. A friend rerouted his to dispense Jim Beam from the ash tray hole on his party Suburban, actually worked really well, stop by Micky Ds grab a coke plenty of ice only half coke and top it off in the drive through. Yes, stupid but unfortunately that wasn't the worst thing we did. "No officer there's no liquor in the truck."

WAY too complicated.. We just kept a bottle of 151 under the seat.. Times were MUCH simpler back then.....
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
no inspection here in maryland on classic cars

Well that is not the case is all 50 states .
Posted By: 70BigBlockSE

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 08:02 PM

I did not reinstall the system on my Challenger, hope to never drive it in the rain!!

Attached picture horns installed.jpg
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/09/15 10:46 PM

I've never ever had a windshield washer setup on a muscle car and never needed it, I do have a brand new kit with reservoir and lines for my Duster just sitting in a box.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 12:25 AM

I have zero plans to install a wiper washer system back into my car.
Posted By: ragin sonny

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 01:50 AM

had a duster that had the manual washer system. bent the nozzels a little high.if you stomped on the pump you could spray your buddies car behind you
Posted By: 440mopar

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 02:37 AM

I guess the thing I am wrestling with most is whether or not to weld up the holes for the bottle screws, hose clips and squirters where they go through the cowl. If I was just going to take the parts off and leave the holes in case I ever wanted to put it all back in it would be no big deal. But, I think having the holes filled in would make for a much cleaner look.

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By 440mopar
I guess the thing I am wrestling with most is whether or not to weld up the holes for the bottle screws, hose clips and squirters where they go through the cowl. If I was just going to take the parts off and leave the holes in case I ever wanted to put it all back in it would be no big deal. But, I think having the holes filled in would make for a much cleaner look.

It would be clean, but like a Tattoo, it would be forever..

I think you would be surprised at how clean it looks painted with the holes left intact..
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 05:18 AM

I removed it from my GTS many years ago. I will not put it back in on either car. I don't like the way they look on an A-body, but I won't weld up the holes.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 05:30 AM

Never ever used the washer on the old car or any of the new ones.
Leave it off
Posted By: tman

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 07:12 AM

Left mine on for the Stock look and works great as a Coolant reservoir. No more dripping coolant and radiator stays filled up to the cap.
Posted By: dpatt67

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 12:34 PM

I've been annoyed at having put the washer system back in my car. I wish I had welded up the holes before painting it, because, like you said, it would make a much cleaner engine compartment. Not to mention just one more added expense. If you only drive yours in sunny weather like me, just weld up the holes while you can..
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Anybody removed the windshield washer system on your car? - 09/10/15 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By cnxt
Never ever used the washer on the old car or any of the new ones.
Leave it off

Come on, Florida in lovebug season, never used a washer?????

I guess if your intentions are for it to be a trailerqueen or a once in a bluemoon if everything is just right car then I could see the desire to leave it off but I actually use all my cars so I need it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums