Moparts

RPM rust preventer

Posted By: mikemee1331

RPM rust preventer - 08/27/15 08:04 PM

is this still the product to use to keep bare metal looking like bare metal and preventing rust?
Posted By: JMCFAN

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/27/15 08:29 PM

Stuff I used it on still looks great!
Posted By: floorit426

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/28/15 01:10 AM

Can it be used on exhaust systems?
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/28/15 02:57 AM

http://ecs-rpm.com/index.php?page=Home
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/29/15 01:50 AM

it may work well on a low mileage vehicle kept from the weather, but i used it on some nuts and bolts on my truck and they practically rusted like nothing was on them
Posted By: Morty426

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/29/15 03:42 AM

I'm very happy with how it works but it takes more than advertised in my experience.

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/29/15 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426
I'm very happy with how it works but it takes more than advertised in my experience.

more initial product or coats?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/29/15 03:02 PM

Maybe more coats would have worked better for me. It seems to be some type of a wax(?) that melts with the heat. I`m pretty sure I followed the directions correctly.

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/29/15 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By mikemee1331
Originally Posted By Morty426

more initial product or coats?

Supposedly one is good enough for one car. I've used two for my restoration. I'm sure some times I was putting it on too thick, but I really think enough for one car is a little bit of a stretch.

Love the product by the way.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/30/15 03:35 AM

I just read through the test results. Seems like pretty sturdy and resilient stuff.

anyone have any real world experience of the product NOT working as advertised?

And too bad you have to heat the part to brush on the product. RPM needs to create a similar product that comes in a spray solution so you can spray it into nooks and crannies of car body cavities where you don't get paint applied.

I need to do something to my 06 Ram 2500 to prevent the sheet metal from rusting away, and I need to do it before any rust even starts!

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/30/15 01:01 PM

i asked cause i have to replace my master cylinder and they are SO nice when you get them but in a couple of year exposed to humidity and dripped brake fluid, well you all know!

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/30/15 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By mikemee1331
i asked cause i have to replace my master cylinder and they are SO nice when you get them but in a couple of year exposed to humidity and dripped brake fluid, well you all know!

Depending on the year the MC has a unique plating that is not very rust proof. Check with MasterShake340 as to what it is since I cannot remember off the top of my head. Had some plated that I did not protect with RPM and they rusted up pretty quick. The plating shop had mercy on me when I re did them. Put RPM on the and they have looked great for 4 years now.
Posted By: PAULS_340

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/30/15 06:24 PM

This stuff works great but when using a heat gun it melts every brush I've used ! Maybe I can heat the part with the Heatgun and then spread the rpm with a warm hairdryer.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/30/15 06:58 PM

Morty, you are "plating" MC's? Lids maybe? shruggy
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/30/15 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By PAULS_340
This stuff works great but when using a heat gun it melts every brush I've used ! Maybe I can heat the part with the Heatgun and then spread the rpm with a warm hairdryer.

I heat the item that I am using it on by first warming in the sun. I then warm further with a heat gun. Only then do I place my brush into the RPM container loading it with the product. Then just like applying paint spread it about. Not my brush, nor any animals were hurt doing in this way.

Just did a new master cylinder last month,,,so far looks fine. Will say that using the product you might experience a slight dulling of the native metallic sheen of the original cast iron. Has been my experience, but overall a better outcome than anything else I've used.

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/30/15 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr
Originally Posted By PAULS_340

I heat the item that I am using it on by first warming in the sun. I then warm further with a heat gun. Only then do I place my brush into the RPM container loading it with the product. Then just like applying paint spread it about. Not my brush, nor any animals were hurt doing in this way.

Just did a new master cylinder last month,,,so far looks fine. Will say that using the product you might experience a slight dulling of the native metallic sheen of the original cast iron. Has been my experience, but overall a better outcome than anything else I've used.

do you have to do it a side at a time or can you heat sides and keep going? is it affected by by 'over-lap' meaning the dullness you mentioned look duller when you over-lap?

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/31/15 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Morty, you are "plating" MC's? Lids maybe? shruggy

yep plated the MC and the lid. Looks great.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/31/15 02:40 PM

I smell ribs again drool
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/31/15 07:37 PM

Leave it sun, then heat up the whole item additionally with heat gun, then rather quickly paint the whole item. Does not have to be too hot,,,would be good if RPM would suggest range of appropriate temperatures that one could test with one of those laser heat temp guns.

I would not overheat a MC as could be possible to damage seals I suppose. Some heat guns can generate a very high temp.

If you install MC and other underwood items, likely a drive of vehicle would heat up to sufficient temperature to make RPM happy.

Final finish will always be a bit duller than natural glint,,,,somewhat as a clear coat,,,not bad just a bit different.

Re: RPM rust preventer - 08/31/15 11:30 PM

thanks for the tips! i'll most likely swipe the wife's hairdryer while she is at work whistling and try that first.

Attached picture images.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums