Moparts

1974 340 Boat engine ?

Posted By: MCTPhoenix

1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 05:22 AM

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand. So I got myself caught up in the restoration of a '74 Conqueror SuperBee III. Long story short, the original 340 is shot, looks like from detonation. Having a hard time finding anyone who knows anything about this engine. I'm tempted to just drop a common 318 back in but know I'll regret not keeping the 340 in it. I need some piston recommendations for this 340. I don't want high compression, hopefully something around 9:1. I've never owned a small block. Are all the heads the same? Thanks for any info. Mike
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 09:06 AM

In 1972 Mopar lowered the compression ratio on all car 340 motors to 8.5 to 1, that is in blueprint specification. Mopar never blueprinted any production motors so the average car motor had less than that spec. work My message is to go ahead and buy good quality replacement piston for the 1972,73 car motors and check the deck hieghts, combustion chamber volumes and see what true compression ratio you get scope thumbs use the head gasket thickness to help achieve the compression ratio you want thumbs IHTHs
Posted By: D_C

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 09:16 AM

Agree with Cab

As to your other question, No, all the (SB) heads are Not the same. (Click on Link below for Hot Rod Mag article on SB Heads)

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0607-mopar-cylinder-head/

I am fairly new to Mopar SB's too. Just bought my first one, an LA 360, in the '74 Dodge Power Wagon I bought last November.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 10:48 AM

If the block doesn't check out to be good, do a stroker 318, not so common.

By late 72 340's had a very sturdy cast crank, forged went away. 340's, and 360's, have bigger port/valve heads than a 318.

But, since you said "restoration", do the 340.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 03:42 PM

If you're wanting to be out on the water for what is left of the summer months what about dropping in the 318 to get you up & running then we can help you get the 340 rebuilt/setup for high rpm longevity. (simply) Sounds like the PO didn't use enough octane.
Posted By: minivan

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Sounds like the PO didn't use enough octane.

iagree Boats are under constant load, like pulling a trailer uphill in a vehicle all the time...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 03:49 PM

that jogged my memory & once I worked on an inboard 318 speedboat & it was reverse rotation! took awhile to figure that one out (firing order)

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 09:05 PM

This one seems normal rotation. The firing order runs clockwise. The numbers on the side of the block is 2780930-340 and there's a larger # 7 cast near that. The head #'s seem to be 2843 and I think 678 but might be 578 or 576 - 21

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 09:45 PM

I have always thought why didn't boat manufacturers reverse the rotation on the props made to accomodate standard rotation engines??
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/26/15 11:39 PM

Twin engine shaft drive boats usually had one regular rotation engine and one reverse rotation engine. At least that is how I remember them.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/27/15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By minivan
I have always thought why didn't boat manufacturers reverse the rotation on the props made to accomodate standard rotation engines??

The prop on many single inboard engine boats turns clockwise(CW/reverse/right hand rotation) to help trim the boat.
When a boat is operated by only one person sitting on the starboard (right) side, the operators weight creates a list to the right. If the prop turns CCW (std automotive rotation), the torque it produces will also create a list to the right. So by turning the prop CW, it's torque now creates a list to the left, which will help counter the list on the right caused by the drivers weight. Hopefully the two are near equal so the boat will trim up level.
When more than one person is in the boat, they can shift their sitting positions to help with trim, one person doesn't have that possibility.

A bit of trivia, Chrysler Marine V8s didn't use the AVS's, almost all used a AFB's modified for marine use.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/27/15 02:30 AM

If you do change to a newer style engine, I'd suggest 360 to better match torque and power of the previous engine. With the same prop and gearing, it should run a little easier vs the 340. A 318 would have to run hard unless you reduce prop pitch.

Excess load from too much pitch can contribute to detonation. With full throttle the engine should max out around 4300-4500 RPM. Less than that means too much pitch, more means not enough.

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/27/15 03:07 AM

Most Chrysler Marine motors have special oil pans and timing cover, so if he went with a 360 he'd have to locate them.

If it were me and if I'm buying new pistons, might as well get new rods and a 4" crank to go with them and throw them in a 318 block. What's a plus .030 318 with a 4" arm? 390"? That should do it.

Yes, boat motors have a load on then all the time they are cruising. If it has the original dist, notice there is NO vac adv pod. It's easy for a prior owner to jack up the timing to auto specs and causing detonation. Check the owners or shop manual for total timing, it will far less than automotive, 10* less, maybe more.

First thing I'd do is verify that the 340 is a RH/CCW/standard rotation. Internal parts will be the same as automotive.
If it's LH/CW/reverse rotation, careful with the cam and dist drive gear. There are new ones available for the SB and pricey but at least you can get them, only choices for the BB is used.

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/27/15 07:36 PM

TY for the prop rotation comments above...

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/28/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By B5 Bee

First thing I'd do is verify that the 340 is a RH/CCW/standard rotation. Internal parts will be the same as automotive.

Just to make sure... when checking for clockwise or ccw are we looking at the front of the engine or referenced from the rear? Thanks
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/28/15 06:25 PM

Looking at the engine from the front, like where the crank was on antique cars.

R.
Posted By: pauly v.100

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/28/15 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By minivan

Can't do it, one engine would be pushing forward the other would be in reverse.
Posted By: 1970Dart3406

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/28/15 07:47 PM

Any pictures of that boat you are restoring?
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/28/15 08:28 PM

If the boat was raw water cooled, there's a good chance that the block is thin from years of rusting in the water jackets.

Find a good replacement block that had antifreeze in it.

Also, you really need to find a shop that builds marine stuff. There are LOTS of subtle differences that will bite you. (Carb setup, piston to wall clearance, valve guide clearance, oiling, cam selection etc........) don't think you can just drop in an automotive engine and be good to go.

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/28/15 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By MCTPhoenix
Originally Posted By B5 Bee

Just to make sure... when checking for clockwise or ccw are we looking at the front of the engine or referenced from the rear? Thanks

First, let me correct my post.
"First thing I'd do is verify that the 340 is a LH/CCW/standard rotation.""

From the rear or like you're in the drivers seat.
Standard rotation is CCW or Left Hand.
Reverse is CW or Right Hand.
Posted By: bryansgarage

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/28/15 11:31 PM

Marine blocks are high nickel content to slow rusting.If it was properly winterized each year it should be fine. Any 318 will work using your oil pan and pick up, but the marine cam is a very different grind.
My son's Conqueror jet is running the 1988 318 from my Ramcharger. It runs well , but seams to be lacking in the cam. We picked up a 72 340 marine engine a couple years ago. Stock with a windage tray and double roller timing chain.
We have a Chrysler Marine Facebook page that would get you a lot of good answers to your questions.

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/28/15 11:47 PM

I certainly wouldn't assume a 40 year old marine block isn't thin.
Sonic test the cylinders!

I've never heard of a "marine" block. Maybe that's a Chrysler thing as both the ford and gm "marine" engines are no different than the automobile blocks. Just machined for the marine environment.

Do you have some data to back up the high Nickel "marine" specific casting you're talking about?

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/29/15 12:06 AM

Also, not saying you're not correct about the high nickel blocks.
Just wasn't sure if it was more than urban lore that gets thrown around.

Are you saying that they had "marine" specific castings or that all chrysler castings were high in nickel during that time?

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 08/29/15 02:06 AM

Marine specific blocks as far as I have been able to gather from the so called "experts". True or not , I couldn't positively say.
A marine engine holds water only running and pressurized by the pump, shut it down and it drains off like a leaky radiator. If they are winterized , you drain out all the water from pet-cocks on the side ,the hoses get disconnected and dumped ,pet cocks on the exhaust manifolds drain them. Anything left gets diluted with a RV antifreeze.
A boat you could get an engine from ,means no one cared anymore and chances are it wasn't winterized.
If he wants to save the 340 ,getting it sonic checked for core shift is a smart plan.

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 09/01/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By bryansgarage
We have a Chrysler Marine Facebook page that would get you a lot of good answers to your questions.

Could you post a link to that site? Also, It seems my 340 has 318 heads on it 2843675 and a date code of 1203 (120th day of '73) Is this the correct head? Why would they put 318 heads on a 340? With a digital caliper the valves (outside to outside) measure 1.82 and 1.52 Thoughts?

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 09/02/15 04:39 PM

Marine specific blocks as far as I have been able to gather from the so called "experts". True or not , I couldn't positively say.
A marine engine holds water only running and pressurized by the pump, shut it down and it drains off like a leaky radiator. If they are winterized , you drain out all the water from pet-cocks on the side ,the hoses get disconnected and dumped ,pet cocks on the exhaust manifolds drain them. Anything left gets diluted with a RV antifreeze.
A boat you could get an engine from ,means no one cared anymore and chances are it wasn't winterized.
If he wants to save the 340 ,getting it sonic checked for core shift is a smart plan.

Best way to winterize an inboard is to pull off the hull intake hose and stick it into a bucket of RV antifreeze then start and run until you see the antifreeze out of the exhaust..
If you have a hot water hose (for wet suits) or heater, these need to be addressed separately....

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 09/02/15 11:06 PM

Just type in Chrysler Marine

Re: 1974 340 Boat engine ? - 09/02/15 11:11 PM

Just type in Chrysler Marine

Found it, thanks, I see my friend is on it too.

Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums