Moparts

purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle?

Posted By: Suregrip391

purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 01:35 AM

Hi Guys, whats the purpose of that foam gasket between the disc brake dust shield and the spindle on say a 73-76 A-body setup? Are they available or are most guys using RTV or the 'right stuff" in place of it? Thank you!
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 01:40 AM

They are probably available through

http://shop.detroitmuscletechnologies.co...57.qscstrfrnt04
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 01:45 AM

pretty sure you can still get them new, i bought a set a few years back.

if i had to guess they are probably to prevent squeaks and rattles. otherwise, with out the gaskets it would be metal to metal.
Posted By: BDW

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 01:54 AM

I wasn't going to use it, but once you start putting it together you'll notice there will be a gap that would allow dirt to enter.

The gasket covers the space.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 02:13 AM

Quote:

whats the purpose of that foam gasket between the disc brake dust shield and the spindle

to keep dirt/debris out
Posted By: Lefty

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 02:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

whats the purpose of that foam gasket between the disc brake dust shield and the spindle

to keep dirt/debris out

I was able to get some from NAPA last year.
Posted By: twister360

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 02:37 AM

Quote:

They are probably available through

http://shop.detroitmuscletechnologies.co...57.qscstrfrnt04

:iagree

I got mine from Detroit Muscle.
Posted By: dave571

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 02:49 AM

Leave the foam gasket on the bench with the dust shield where it belongs.

You'll get better cooling, etc, and not have to worry about gravel/etc.. getting stuck between the rotor, and the sheild again.

FWIW I've done at least a dozen brake swaps with no dust shields, and never had a problem.
Most modern applications do not have a dust shield on the rotor, as they are useless .
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 04:19 AM

Quote:

Leave the foam gasket on the bench with the dust shield where it belongs.

You'll get better cooling, etc, and not have to worry about gravel/etc.. getting stuck between the rotor, and the sheild again.

FWIW I've done at least a dozen brake swaps with no dust shields, and never had a problem.
Most modern applications do not have a dust shield on the rotor, as they are useless .

I actually will be doing that whenever I mess with my brakes again. I have a problem with rocks getting stuck on my ford ranger while off road. extremely annoying!
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/23/09 02:15 PM

And if you are so inclined to use the seals,go to any craft store and buy a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of foam for a buck and make your own and you'll have some left over to use somewhere else.

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/24/09 12:13 AM

Thanks guys! I just made my own this evening from some foam type packaging material I had laying around. Looks like the same material as the original stuff I took off so that worked well! Thanks again for the tip.. musta had brain freeze as I never thought to make my own...duh!
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/24/09 12:15 AM

Quote:

Hi Guys, whats the purpose of that foam gasket between the disc brake dust shield and the spindle on say a 73-76 A-body setup? Are they available or are most guys using RTV or the 'right stuff" in place of it? Thank you!

I am 100% sure it was put there for you to ask why....????

Re: purpose of foam gasket between dust shield/spindle? - 01/24/09 12:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am 100% sure it was put there for you to ask why....????

Yeah, sure seems that way at times....
© 2024 Moparts Forums