Moparts

Best way to prep a intake for painting

Posted By: 69x

Best way to prep a intake for painting - 08/23/15 10:28 PM

I have the carb off my car for a rebuild so I was wondering the best way to prep the intake before I paint it ?

I am not taking it off the motor, I plan to repaint with it on, it needs it as the old paint is very discolored, Thanks guys.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Best way to prep a intake for painting - 08/24/15 01:58 AM

Mask the carb opening real good.

Remove any obvious grease and dirt with simple green, etc.

Scotch brite pad any loose paint off until you have a solid substrate.

Clean again and again with wax and grease remover until you know it's clean.

Mask everything you don't want paint overspray on.

If you have a shop vac you can place the hose near where your painting and it will vacuum up any overspray floating in the air.

Any hard to reach spots can be lightly painted with a brush first and then painted over with the aerosol can or paint gun.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best way to prep a intake for painting - 08/24/15 02:02 AM

I'd clean it squeaky clean with wax & grease remover then scuff it with steel wool of the right grade & (final) clean it again) with WG remover. covering close in/hard to reach areas with vaseline to avoid overspray. some places just cant be taped off
Posted By: 69x

Re: Best way to prep a intake for painting - 08/24/15 04:20 AM

Thanks, one more question, would you spay it with one coat of paint or more and how much time in between ?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best way to prep a intake for painting - 08/24/15 04:42 AM

I ain't a painter but I've always believed that several lighter coats is much better & even the rattle cans tell you how long to wait between coats, that the coat has to "flash" dry. Problem I always had was debris settling on the surface in between coats. But wait for more experienced input
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Best way to prep a intake for painting - 08/24/15 07:01 AM

I would etch primer after cleaning it.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Best way to prep a intake for painting - 08/24/15 04:58 PM

Depending on the brand of paint, Rustoleum for example has a window for recoating. Couple hours iirc. If you try to recoat after that it wrinkles up unless you wait the 2 or 3 days (iirc) if you miss the 2 hour window. Bottom line, read product direction carefully up

Scott
© 2024 Moparts Forums