Moparts

Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code?

Posted By: domingo

Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 03:51 PM

Hi!

My buddy wants to paint his car Petty Blue and I told him I could help him mix the right color.

However when I have seen Petty Blue in Person on a real Petty Car I remember it was a flat color with no Metallic in it.

Is there a code for Petty Blue? Was it ever a factory offered color?

How can I go about this.
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 04:14 PM

Special paint. Google search turned up a code of 999

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 04:16 PM

uhmmmm.....

I gues only way to get it right would be to have a sample to copy from.

Can anybody send me one via air mail???? Ill pay for postage and time!!!! smile
Posted By: partsforsale

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 04:33 PM

Starting in '72, TB3 was the paint code for petty blue.

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By partsforsale

was tb3 a non metallic?

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 04:35 PM

http://pettys-garage.com

Try contacting King Richard himself. I've seen brand new Challengers out of his shop that are absolutely stunning!

And try the Talladega site. From a '69 Talladega.

Attached picture image.jpg

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By domingo
Originally Posted By partsforsale

was tb3 a non metallic?

and what was the name????
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 04:36 PM

Don't know the code but was at least a 1972 color, plymouth called it basin street blue. If there was metallic, I never noticed it.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 04:48 PM

Nonmetallic.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 05:04 PM

had a 73, it was non metallic
Posted By: KISSAlien

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 05:33 PM

It was also a standard color prior to 1972. For Superbirds only.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 08:56 PM

Definitely none metallic
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 11:41 PM

"Petty Blue" painted vehicles were Special Order and officially "Corporation Blue" (think Plymouth sign) prior to 1972. In '72 it became a STANDARD color "TB3" (Dodge - "super blue" & Plymouth - "basin street blue") which should date to the '63 model year.

it's a solid color & iagree non-metallic

Attached picture 1968 99 Road Runner Petty blue.jpg
Attached picture 1972 TB3 Charger.jpg
Attached picture 1972 TB3 Cuda.jpg
Attached picture Chrysler Plymouth autorized service sign.jpg
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/18/15 11:48 PM

scope a factory "Corporation blue" 1964 HEMI Savoy drive

Attached picture D-C 3141249558- 11th commandment II 1964 petty blue.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 12:01 AM

Quote:
a factory "Corporation blue" 1964 HEMI Savoy drive

With a red interior no less! eek
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By Pynzo

And try the Talladega site. From a '69 Talladega.

That car is not a Talladega.

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 01:45 AM

My Bad. I wouldn't really know. Fords, all Fords, suck a$$. Photo came up on a Google search. Fords suck- a$$. Am I Clear?
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 04:30 AM

That was a Torino GT painted Petty Blue, one of a handful ordered by the Charlotte district.
Posted By: joelson6

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 04:38 AM

i used '73 B3 blue from a dodge paint chip when i painted my Challenger. definitely not metallic.

Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
"Petty Blue" painted vehicles were Special Order and officially "Corporation Blue" (think Plymouth sign) prior to 1972. In '72 it became a STANDARD color "TB3" (Dodge - "super blue" & Plymouth - "basin street blue") which should date to the '63 model year.

it's a solid color & iagree non-metallic

I was going to say, I always thought that corporate blue was the official name of it. It seems like the name game is always going on.
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 12:51 PM

I painted the wheels on my desoto petty blue. The paint can reads- corporate blue 2423 B3
Posted By: Mr Gorsky

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 02:41 PM

Interesting seeing that '64 Savoy above...here's an old MCG article on my favorite color, Petty Blue. The guy who ordered it picked the color from a Dodge pickup:

http://s12.postimg.org/sm6a3qpwd/pettyblue66pg1.jpg

Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/19/15 03:35 PM

The Ditzler paint code is 12785
Posted By: MOBodyman

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/22/15 10:24 PM

I don't have my paint chips here but I know The TB3 blue used in '72 & '73 has a different Dupont formula number than corporate blue.

Below is my response back in Dec. 2010 to a guy in the UK who was asking about corporate colors.

"I found the color codes today and called my paint supplier to make sure they are still valid and can still be mixed. These are Dupont brand paint numbers, not Chrysler numbers. If you don’t have a Dupont supplier there, let me know what brands you have and I’ll try to get a cross-reference. I did find out these colors were reformulated a couple of times. I think the last time was in the late ’80s or early ’90s, probably due to changes to the mixing tints.
All 3 colors can be mixed in Chromabase basecoat which must be clearcoated.
All 3 colors can be mixed in ChromaOne or ChromaPremier singlestage.
The white can also be mixed in the cheaper Nason single stage.
Corporate White # is 55769
Corporate Blue # is 43009
Corporate Red # is 44236"

If anyone needs the Dupont # for TB3 let me know and I'll post it too.
Dallas

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/23/15 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By MOBodyman
....If anyone needs the Dupont # for TB3 let me know and I'll post it too.
Dallas

Yes please, I'll be repainting my car in the new year.

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/23/15 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By Mr Gorsky
Dallas

I'll get it when I go back to the shop & post it tomorrow nite or Monday nite.
Dallas

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/24/15 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By Mr Gorsky
Dallas

The Dupont # for TB3 is 5351 followed by a letter which indicates the type of paint. 'K' for Chromabase basecoat for example.

Dallas

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/26/15 12:25 AM

Thanks Dallas....appreciate you looking that up.
Posted By: efisixpack

Re: Is Petty Blue a metallic? Was it ever a factory color? Code? - 08/26/15 02:48 AM

Corporate Blue is darker than Petty Blue. They are NOT the same. Petty Blue was offered in '72 or '73 (can't recall first year) and was labeled TB3. Both are solid colors though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums