Moparts

A body wiring harness

Posted By: 70duster340

A body wiring harness - 08/18/15 02:58 AM

Can anyone suggest a decent harness that is reasonable in cost? I would love to have an updated wiring harness that won't break the budget.

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/18/15 05:45 AM

Nobody???
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/18/15 05:51 AM

I redid my 65 dart from scratch. set the old harness on the floor and soldered in 1 wire at a time on a new harness as I cut the old wire off of the old harness till the new one took shape and the old one dissapeared right next to it. I upped the gauges on some circuit. BE SURE to use the OE colors (including wires with colored tracers). there are companies that will sell you the exact lengths of any color/gauge you need. NAPA has the bulkhead terminals 725145/725147 (female/male premium brass 1/4" terminals). underhood is easy but forewarned under dash takes some doin (& this was on a bare bones 65 dart!) You asked for a new harness (recommendations) so here's a BTT for ya

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/18/15 08:28 PM

Thanks, Robert. Yeah, I would prefer to have a new harness. Even a good universal harness would satisfy me, as long as it is not too complicated to install.

Thanks for the BTT!
Posted By: okie

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 12:01 AM

Got mine from Classic Ind. and it worked great and looked good
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 12:31 AM

Let's see.....To sum things up you want

Low priced
Quality parts
Easy To install

Gee, that's not asking for much tonguue

Good luck! whistling

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 03:28 AM

I don't think that wanting an affordable part, no matter what it may be, is too much to ask.

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 03:31 AM

Define affordable (in dollars). Everybody has a different idea of what "affordable" is so you aren't going to get much (good) information when you ask such a subjective question. I'm not trying to pick on you, just giving it to you straight.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 03:46 AM

There is no such thing as an easy aftermarket wiring harness. The less expensive they are, the more difficult they are to install. Don't buy the cheapest kit you can find!

Plan on reusing your headlight switch connector, your ignition switch connector, your turn signal connector, and your dimmer switch connector. Most aftermarket wiring kits are GM based and won't come with Mopar switch connections.

I've done 3 of them now, all from different suppliers. Still looking for a "good one". Gene
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 04:31 AM

I recently bought an Evans harness for a 70 Swinger and found a couple connections that needed re-crimping. If you buy any aftermarket new harness I recommend checking every connection. twocents I have not used a Ron Francis harness so I can't post a review on that one. wave

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 04:57 AM

Since we are talking quality......I have tried Evans and M&H (sold exclusively through Year One).

I would not use ANY other reproduction harness other than M&H on my cars. Yes, expensive (roughly $600.00 for a dash harness and an engine harness). Well worth it, cheap insurance, fits like original, goes in easy because it belongs there. No other way to go on a reproduction IMO.

If you have a decent original you can have JS Restorations restore it for you, SUPERB customer service and quality but I don't think he's accepting new work at this time.

twocents
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By 70duster340
Can anyone suggest a decent harness that is reasonable in cost? I would love to have an updated wiring harness that won't break the budget. Thanks in advance!!!
Your request sounded perfectly straight up/reasonable/feasable to me. From some of the posts regarding fitment/GM based etc I feel a bit better about doing mine from scratch but I hate to say this but I would not want to do it again but I did get it dead on perfect the way I wanted it

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/19/15 04:58 PM

I thought it did, too, Robert.

I don't mind doing some of the work myself, I just think that some of the harnesses out there are well overpriced. This is a project car, and I prefer to do some of the work myself. I guess I am asking for a good harness at a reasonable price that will be a good fit for my car.

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/20/15 01:26 AM

BTT
Posted By: cogen80

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/20/15 02:43 AM

whatever you do stay away from that evans garbage. bad crimps all over those things.

go with a M&H sld by year one and i think classic.

Re: A body wiring harness - 08/20/15 04:05 AM

I will do that, and thanks for the advice!
© 2024 Moparts Forums