Moparts

Just got towed home 73 challenger.

Posted By: chicagotim2003

Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 03:53 AM

I was about 20 miles from home just enjoying a beautiful Saturday night. Car seemed to be running fine. As i was driving i felt a little hick up. About a mile later another one. I pulled into a church and as i did the car died! I have a full tank of gas. I checked the carb and it sprays gas into the carb. Battery is strong and will crank. I`m thinking no spark. I have a extra ecm in the trunk. Put the ecm on and nothing. I have a brand new ballast,put that on nothing. I have a extra coil,put that on nothing. Pull the cap off and the rotor spins when i crank so i guess timing chain is still there. Sun went down and i called for the hook. How do i trouble shoot this? Very frustrated and need a beer !!!!!
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 04:04 AM

Do you have power to the ballast resistor? Sorry to hear you having troubles. At least you have beer!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 04:05 AM

Check the wire to the coil along the intake...make sure it's not grounding due to heat/melting.

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 04:09 AM

Test light says nothing to the ballast resistor.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 04:42 AM

Exactly what happened to my Challenger one week ago. Repo Wiring harness tab at the firewall plug was not crimped properly.

Sheldon
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 05:04 AM

As i read this..you didnt check for spark..pull the coil wire at the cap.check that first..

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 05:17 AM

Just checked again i do have power at the ballast and coil. Ill check spark in the morning. Thanks guys!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 05:55 AM

pull the yellow wire off of the starter relay to disable the starter then with a helper: with key "on" and held to "start" the coil positive primary terminal and the blue/yellow ECU terminal need to be hot (2 key positions/2 terminals= 4 checks) (plus the red/green ECU terminal if an OE 5 pin ECU (OE 5 pin ECU has a functioning 5th pin that is fed by the red/green wire). I'd seperate/clean the bulkhead first

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 04:24 PM

I went out this morning and started poking around with the test light. I was about to try the test rapid robert recommended. For the hell of it i tried to start it and it started and ran very rough. I shut it off and noticed gas seemed to keep dripping in to the carb. I started it again and it was running very rough. I shut it off and again noticed gas still dripping into to the carb. Carb is a holley 750. 3310 model. The car started and ran. I assume electric must be ok for it to run. Am i looking at a fuel problem here? Next move?
Posted By: 65dodgebob

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 04:53 PM

sounds like float issue. possibly float is stuck (needle/seat), or float level is too high. I would check float levels first. other possibility is if idle speed is too high(big cam, rough idle,etc.) carb may be pulling fuel in from main circuit instead of idle circuit. try reducing idle speed.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 04:55 PM

Most likely some debris in one of the carbs needle and seats, I would just replace them both, reset the floats and try it. I assume the carb hasn't been apart for awhile?

Sheldon

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 05:32 PM

Ok just googled some holley carb troubleshooting. I took off rear bowl plug tiny amount of fuel came out. Sprayed carb clean in bowl. Took out needle and sprayed carb clean. Went to the front bowl and took out plug. A ton of fuel came out like a water fall. Did the same carb cleaned bowl and needle.Started up and seems to run smooth. Turned it on and off at least 6 times. Noticed when it was off fuel was not leaking down into carb. This carb has never been apart in the 16 years i`ve owned it. With all the gas in the front bowl will that problem come back?

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 05:40 PM

What Sheldon said, replace the needle/seat assys, set the floats (dry then wet/idleing) & you'll be fine. good filter in front of carb. Wix is good

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 06:31 PM

When i pulled the plug off the front bowl a lot of gas came out. Like it was filled to the top. Would a clogged needle cause that? How would that make my car die after driving for 20 miles?

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/09/15 06:39 PM

Quote:
When i pulled the plug off the front bowl a lot of gas came out. Like it was filled to the top. Would a clogged needle cause that? How would that make my car die after driving for 20 miles?
(1) yes (2) it took that long for the flooding to reach a critical mass bad enough to kill the eng, it can leak some or a lot & it varies
Posted By: 540DUSTER

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/10/15 01:47 PM

holley carb 16 years old and never had been apart.Time for a rebuild.I bet that carb has all kinds of ethanol crusties in it.

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/10/15 10:15 PM

Yes, carb rebuild is my next move. Cleaning the needle on the front bowl seems to have fixed the problem for now. As always thanks for sharing the knowledge!!!! moparts is awesome!!!!!
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/10/15 10:19 PM

Replace needle/seat and float. This just happened to me 2 days ago.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/11/15 01:24 AM

What happened to no power to the ballast resister?

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/11/15 10:31 PM

When i checked the ballast i think i did not have the key turned forward. I was frustrated smile
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Just got towed home 73 challenger. - 08/12/15 08:09 PM

Check the front float , it might have a hole and have fuel in it .
© 2024 Moparts Forums