Moparts

TKO - 500 Shifting Problems

Posted By: faud88

TKO - 500 Shifting Problems - 08/04/15 03:18 AM

I have TKO-500 that has been in my car for the last couple of years. On Saturday out of the blue I started having problems shifting into 1st gear. All of the other gears perform as needed but it will not shift into 1st. I am running the hydraulic clutch setup as well. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: TKO - 500 Shifting Problems - 08/04/15 05:26 PM

Try to bleed the clutch to ensure you didn't pull in air from anywhere. The other gears aren't a problem when shifting, since you don't need a clutch to shift once the RPMs drop and engine speed matches the next hear--it'll fall into gear without using a clutch
Posted By: minivan

Re: TKO - 500 Shifting Problems - 08/04/15 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By 70Cuda383
Try to bleed the clutch to ensure you didn't pull in air from anywhere. The other gears aren't a problem when shifting, since you don't need a clutch to shift once the RPMs drop and engine speed matches the next hear--it'll fall into gear without using a clutch

iagree Sounds like your not totally disengaging the clutch.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: TKO - 500 Shifting Problems - 08/04/15 11:08 PM

How's reverse?
Posted By: faud88

Re: TKO - 500 Shifting Problems - 08/04/15 11:41 PM

I will try bleeding the clutch again. It shifts into reverse flawlessly.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: TKO - 500 Shifting Problems - 08/06/15 05:09 AM

If it shifts into gear while the engine is off, proceed with disengagement solutions.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: TKO - 500 Shifting Problems - 08/06/15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By faud88
I will try bleeding the clutch again. It shifts into reverse flawlessly.

Hmm...that is a strike against it being the hydraulics of the clutch, if it wasn't fully disengaging because of air in the system, it would also be hard to shift into reverse I would think.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: TKO - 500 Shifting Problems - 08/06/15 06:22 PM

If everything else works flawlessly it may be just a split synchro ring on the first gear hub. If it feels normal going into first with engine off and the shifter looks and feels right then it's probably first synchro issues twocents
Gus beer

Attached picture front veiw savoy.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums