Moparts

need help badly please

Posted By: My340Duster

need help badly please - 05/28/08 11:40 PM

well the much awaited day has come and gone. Car is all back together but making noise from the passenger side badly. I switched from a mechanical cam to hydraulic and put new cam lifters and correct pushrods in. Adjusted the las according to the chart to a tee setting the preload on the lifters everything was completely coating in break in lube. Now after many times with the valve cover off then back on I started it with the cover off and held each rocker. Didnt seem to affect the noise to much but did a little. After shutting it off what i did notice is I am able to push down fairly easily on 3 off the lifters on the passenger side and none on the drivers. I am assuming these 3 are not pumping up and they are brand new. I have great oill pressure and everything is adjusted to specs. WHAT DO I DO NOW......
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: need help badly please - 05/28/08 11:57 PM

loosen the lash on those 3 to allow them to pump up then readjust all dan

Re: need help badly please - 05/29/08 12:52 AM

so would I be backing the lash to zero to try this. I havent heard of doing this to get them to pump up.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: need help badly please - 05/29/08 01:09 AM

Personally I would do just the opposite. With the engine running I would take a hammer handle and apply pressure to the pushrod end of the noisy rockers and depress the lifters thus force bleeding the air out allowing them to fill with pressurized oil. Has worked in the past many times over. .

Re: need help badly please - 05/29/08 10:13 AM

well I tried both and cant seem to get this thing to quiet down. I cant even tell which ones are making noise other than being able to push down on the end of the rocker fairly easily.
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: need help badly please - 05/29/08 05:01 PM

I had a problem like that a few years ago. No matter what I did, I could not get them to pump up correctly. I ended up just pulling them, bringing them back to the parts store and getting new ones. Worked like a charm.
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: need help badly please - 05/29/08 08:52 PM

try setting them hot, the last motor I built i had to adjust them 3 or 4 times till they were quiet at idle...they still make a little noise at rpm but I think its more cam profile and spring pressure...
Posted By: gd9704

Re: need help badly please - 05/30/08 12:11 AM

I once had an exhaust leak that I SWORE was a lifter/rocker/pushrod making noise.

Posted By: blairboy3

Re: need help badly please - 05/30/08 02:25 AM

Quote:

...everything was completely coating in break in lube....

That right there seems to be a problem to me. Is this a flat-tappet hydraulic cam? You only want to coat the lobes of the cam, & the face of the lifters. I would think that coating those things in thick assembly lube would inhibit the flow of oil into the lifters... anyone else agree?

Plus, I've heard of instances where the thickness of the lube would keep the lifters from rotating, and lead to a wiped cam
© 2024 Moparts Forums