Moparts

Trunk mount battery cable

Posted By: stateroadhog

Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 03:14 PM

I have MP's trunk mount battery kit in my 70RR. I have a hot start problem motor slowly turns over. My question is I believe the positive cable is 2awg would a 0 or 0/1 pass more current to help this problem. Starter is good, battery load tested good, all connections are clean and tight.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 03:26 PM

Where is your ground/grounds?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 03:33 PM

how did you test your starter to know it's good? could the starter be getting heat soak from the headers? I've read lots of problems on here where a starter works great when cold, but cranks very slow when warm/hot; regardless of where the battery is located.

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 04:29 PM

Battery grounded to frame, motor grounded to K member and to body. when motor was hot used co2 to cool starter.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 05:11 PM

(1) get it good and hot (2) disconnect the trunk batt cables (3) set a known good batt by the Dr front wheel on the ground (4) connect jumper cables, black to batt neg/starter case ear and clamp large/small starter terminals with one end of the red cable & last connection, other red end to batt positive post & see if it cranks normal. work fast for a valid test (while it is still very hot) and secure the red cable on the starter two terminals tight so the clamp dont move a bit when it cranks & contact the starter case. Yes I dont think 2AWG is enough & you've covered everything else ex tight eng & thats pretty rare
Posted By: Steve88

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 05:44 PM

I would double check all of the grounds and make sure they are good and clean. Make sure the grounds are connected to bare metal and not a painted surface. I have always used 2 gauge battery cable with relocated batteries and never had a problem. My 67 Camaro has a 572 with 2 gauge cable and fires right up.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By stateroadhog
when motor was hot used co2 to cool starter.

If that cured the problem, I'd say the starter is the problem. You say "the starter is good"...how do you know?
Posted By: therocks

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 07:56 PM

I run 1 gauge and my battery is in front.No way would I run less than 1 gauge in the trunk.My 12.5 440 with the mini captured in the headers fires like a /6 even hot.Rocky
Posted By: crackedback

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 08:11 PM

Voltage drop is NOT your friend!

I run 2/0 cable for the main run and grounds for starter/engine.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/17/15 10:04 PM

I found some 2/0 jumper cables at a truck stop. Red and Black. Thats what I used to mount my batteries (2) in my trunk. Never had a problem. Here a site that has some good info on cable sizes and amperage that can be handled. http://www.directwireusa.com/What-Welding-Cable-Size-Chart/ also be aware if you're running headers heat soak is a big problem on our cars. If anybody knows a good mini starter that wont heat soak I'd sure like to know.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/18/15 01:54 AM

I had slow start when hot with 1 gauge + wire and chassis ground in the trunk and engine compartment.

I added a second ground with 2 gauge from the trunk to block and that helped quite a bit. Done again, I'd run even heavier + wire.

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/18/15 05:41 PM

My mini is a reman from Advance.Its been in at least 15 years and the 2 inch TTIs capture it real good with the Lakewood.It always starts easy even when in the 90s here.I run the biggets battery CCA wise that fits and 1 gauge cables.12.5 domes in the 440 and it spins like a /6.Rocky

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/18/15 06:12 PM

Rock has a good point, even tho his cables are small he might need more battery (or a combo of both issues). They ain't cheap but it'd be easier than changing out your cables. maybe he could borrow a bigger/higher CCA one from a friend just for a quick test.

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/18/15 10:25 PM

You dont say how old the cables are.I had a set that was about 8 years old and had slow crank.Cables looked new on the outside but under the sheath they were corroded.Thats when I went 1 gauge.Just remember the bigger the wire the less resistance and less voltage drop.Rocky

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/19/15 03:23 AM

2 gauge cable, 1000 cca battery, 5 year old cable. mini is year old. cut cable open no corrosion. Have taken battery to two diffrent stores for load test both say battery good. I asked what does good mean and of corse I get the usuall shrugg of shoulders and stupid look.

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/19/15 03:55 AM

good battery high CCA battery fresh mini fresh cables. about all that is left is the cables ain't big enough
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/19/15 04:55 AM

I ran 4/0 cables when I had a trunk mount battery. Overkill? Probably, but I had it and it was free.

Re: Trunk mount battery cable - 07/19/15 05:26 AM

welding cable is a good choice since by design the insulation is thick cuz the cables are getting moved constantly & flexible/multiple small strands of wire & it's reasonable & here at least when you buy some cable and terminals they'll crimp em on for free (not a dealbreaker but every little bit helps) & I would also solder em also. EDIT just mockup/measure the exact length you need ahead of time
© 2024 Moparts Forums