Moparts

Replacing mechanical fuel pump. 87 Chrysler 318 ?

Posted By: yorker

Replacing mechanical fuel pump. 87 Chrysler 318 ? - 07/13/15 06:16 AM

OK< I replaced it 6 years ago. It is no longer pumping.
I just removed it, took the alternator off first.
My question's about the fuel pump push rod.

Does the 318 have one?
I did not see one fall out, and did not feel anything in the hole to indicate one is in there.

Can I just lube the end of the arm and shove the new one in, or should I extract the push rod if one is in there.

Motor has only 52,000 miles so I dont think the push rod is bad.

Is there a push rod in the 318? Is it OK to just leave it in place if it is not falling out?

I have a Mopar shop manual but it does not show. It does say the pump works off of a cam lobe or something.

Thanks
YORKER.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Replacing mechanical fuel pump. 87 Chrysler 318 ? - 07/13/15 06:22 AM

The fuel pump lever runs on an offset hub on the cam sprocket and is lubricated by oil splash off the timing chain & gears. There is not a push rod. Gene
Posted By: yorker

Re: Replacing mechanical fuel pump. 87 Chrysler 318 ? - 07/13/15 06:25 AM

Gene, thanks for the reply. I will try and delete the post.
Glad I dont have a little rod to mess with.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Replacing mechanical fuel pump. 87 Chrysler 318 ? - 07/13/15 07:14 AM

as you insert the lever into the tcover opening angle it down then come up as the lever rides under the eccentric & IF it wants to compress alot during this installation pull it back out & turn the crank with a 1&1/4" socket/short extension/breaker bar to get on the base circle of the eccentric. hit the sweet spot where there is just a little bit of compression
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: Replacing mechanical fuel pump. 87 Chrysler 318 ? - 07/13/15 12:39 PM

I had the fuel pump eccentric wear out on a 318 I had, it was either take the timing cover off and fix it or go electric for the pump. you might be able to see it with the pump out with a mirror or bore scope.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Replacing mechanical fuel pump. 87 Chrysler 318 ? - 07/13/15 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By yorker
Gene, thanks for the reply. I will try and delete the post.
Glad I dont have a little rod to mess with.

DO NOT DELETE YOUR POST ! tsk some on this board take offense at this tactic. also, this info helps others at times. i'm not trying to give you a hard time, so please do not take offense at my comment.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums