Moparts

Wet-sanding a scratch repair. How fine a grit & sequence?

Posted By: YYZ

Wet-sanding a scratch repair. How fine a grit & sequence? - 07/12/15 02:42 PM

I need to repair a deep scratch on the family car which was done either with a ski pole (accident) or key (dbag).

Plan is to:

- apply a few coats of base color to the scratch
- wet sand the excess from the factory paint
- use clear to build up the scratch above the factory paint
- wet sand everything level
- polish

What grit(s) of wet sandpaper should I be using, and in what order? 1000/1500/2000?

I realize that the repair won't be completely invisible, but I'm loath to shell out $$$$ to refinish 2 doors and a fender on a two year old car.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: TJP

Re: Wet-sanding a scratch repair. How fine a grit & sequence? - 07/12/15 09:07 PM

without seeing it it's difficult to guide you. Do be aware the clear coat on newer cars is very thin and does not like being sanded very much beer
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Wet-sanding a scratch repair. How fine a grit & sequence? - 07/13/15 11:13 AM

Try a u tube search for automotive paint scratch repairs. I have seen several with some tips on how to deal with them.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Wet-sanding a scratch repair. How fine a grit & sequence? - 07/13/15 05:51 PM

What color?
Posted By: wayne o

Re: Wet-sanding a scratch repair. How fine a grit & sequence? - 07/16/15 06:53 PM

Can you feel the scratch w/ your finger nail ? Do it in stages. Base, let dry, then 2 to 3 coats of clear. I would use 2000 grit wet sand paper. Make sure you use a block. You can also mix the base & clear together. Add alittle clear hardner.
© 2024 Moparts Forums