Moparts

filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters

Posted By: Adam71Charger

filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 01:13 AM

Has anyone 'filled' the gap inside the trunk between the sides of the trunk pan and the quarter panels? Its a hard area to keep clean and free of moisture.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 03:23 AM

Quote:
Its a hard area to keep clean

Who can tell if its dirty ?!?!?!?
Posted By: DamDodge

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 03:34 AM

ive seen them filled with body filler on top of chicken wire and newspaper....
Posted By: wesgtx440

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 06:31 AM

My personal opinion - I would not do it. Filling them in is asking for a place for moisture to collect with no way to escape. My 68 GTX that I had was filled in and it caused the lower quarter and trunk extension to rust out...which by the way was the only rust on the car and it was due to that gap being filled.
Posted By: keith airgrabber

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 06:57 AM

Originally Posted By wesgtx440
My personal opinion - I would not do it. Filling them in is asking for a place for moisture to collect with no way to escape. My 68 GTX that I had was filled in and it caused the lower quarter and trunk extension to rust out...which by the way was the only rust on the car and it was due to that gap being filled.
I agree Filling it inn would be a mistake. It needs to breathe in there.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 12:21 PM

X3 I saw a '69 Charger that had that gap filled with aerosol expanding foam. Quarter looked great on the face, trunk extension had almost completely rusted away on the bottom.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 03:36 PM

Just spray in there with something that displaces moisture - like WD40 or Rustcheck. Wipe away the excess and let it do its thing. If you're concerned about existing rust, fill the whole void with something like Evaporust for a day or so then drain it, let it dry and then spray it.
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 03:52 PM

Google a product called "transtar amber rustproofing" #4423.

It comes in spray cans and available with an optional multi-directional spray tube, such as the kind use in undercoating. I use it everywhere painting can't get to. It even seeps into cracks between two pieces of sheet metal welded face to face.

3M makes a similar product, but I don't have the info on theirs.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 05:01 PM

The early B-Bodies (like the '64 Polara) had extensions made of something like Masonite that filled the gap and kept stuff from filling the gap, yet let it breathe. I got some replacements from www.kanter.com and they probably could be made to work for you.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/06/15 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By keith airgrabber
Originally Posted By wesgtx440
I agree Filling it inn would be a mistake. It needs to breathe in there.
First thing I thought too. I just keep my vacuumed out so no dirt is in there collecting moisture.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/07/15 01:46 AM

Its a great place to find factory hardware on unmolested cars.
Posted By: DusterJeff

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/07/15 04:21 AM

When I had my 72 Duster many years ago,I think I just blew it out with compressed air and dumped some oil or WD-40 down the sides to "Stop" the rust.... work
Posted By: poorboy

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/07/15 05:24 AM

One of (the many) Mopars we had had a cardboard filler that fit in between the truck floor & outer quarter. Then there was a trunk mat that laid over top of that. Might have been the 69 Chrysler New Port. Gene
Posted By: G_T

Re: filling gap between inside trunk floor and inside quarters - 07/07/15 06:18 AM

Originally Posted By poorboy
One of (the many) Mopars we had had a cardboard filler that fit in between the truck floor & outer quarter. Then there was a trunk mat that laid over top of that. Might have been the 69 Chrysler New Port. Gene

My 68 Imperial had that. Kept it clean.
© 2024 Moparts Forums