Moparts

Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box?

Posted By: HemiStan

Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 12:43 AM

Hello! Where are you folks hiding your electronic ignition boxes? Under the dash, I assume? I'm "fixing up" my '70 Swinger and want to make it look a little more "stock".

Thanks for any ideas!

Stan
Posted By: BRawls

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 01:08 AM

I put mine on the bottom of the battery tray in a '70 Road Runner. Still gets some air flow there to help it stay cool.
Posted By: 72sebring

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 01:35 AM

i put mine in the stock location if you use mopar performane ign it looks just like the old regulator
Posted By: rrunner

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 01:41 AM

Quote:

I put mine on the bottom of the battery tray in a '70 Road Runner. Still gets some air flow there to help it stay cool.

Posted By: 440beeper

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 02:07 AM

There's company on eBag that sells an ECU bracket that mounts on the rear of the engine (rear intake valley hold-down) on RB/B motors. Haven't used it, but I like of idea of not having to drill any holes.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 02:12 AM

We put ours on the backside of the firewall where the heater box used to be. Out of the heat and weather. Lots of air moving through the cowl vents to keep it cool. Some people say that MSD boxes can make clicking sounds but we have never noticed.

We also got rid of the connector for the column wiring and replaced it with a terminal strip:

Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 10:54 AM

Quote:

There's company on eBag that sells an ECU bracket that mounts on the rear of the engine (rear intake valley hold-down) on RB/B motors. Haven't used it, but I like of idea of not having to drill any holes.

I bought one of these to install on a buddy's road runner so I wouldn't have to hack holes in the firewall. Works quite slick I say. No need for 10 feet of wiring to get inside or under the battery tray. Even without a carb or air cleaner on it, it hides behind the manifold really well.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 02:24 PM

On the core support under the horn.
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/20/09 07:46 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Has anyone else mounted theirs under the dash like David in St Croix? How hot does the MP ECU actually get?

Stan
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/21/09 12:08 AM

mines right under the dash under the heater box on the toe board where it angles up
Posted By: 71mopardude

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/21/09 12:55 AM

i seen one i forget where but it was hidden inside the washer fluid jug !!! the bottom was cut the jug sides where painted blue.. I thought that was cool!!
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/21/09 01:05 AM

i always put them on the passenger side kick panel area. gets air from the vent to keep em cool
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/21/09 01:13 AM

Mine is right on top of the center console behind the ashtray but facing the heater box, custom bracket, all nice and tidy and wires kept and clean. Have access to the RPM pill for easy swaps. I hardly turn on my heater so it doesnt get that warm but I wanted a clean engine bay and hardly any wires visible. I couldnt mount under the battery tray because I have a vaccuum assist motor under there
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/21/09 01:41 AM

under the front bumper area or just in front of rad under front bumper good luck dan
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Where to hide Electronic Ignition Box? - 01/21/09 12:35 PM

Quote:

under the front bumper area or just in front of rad under front bumper good luck dan

Not a good place....Sure the air cooling it down would be great but driving in the rain or going through a puddle? The last thing you need is a burned out electronic ignition due to shorting from water
© 2024 Moparts Forums