Moparts

Hooker headers question...

Posted By: slantzilla

Hooker headers question... - 07/03/15 09:17 AM

I am looking for headers for my '73 Duster that I am getting ready to put a 340 in. I really want Hooker Super Comps, but the 1-3/4" primary #5204 says it will only fit '67-72 A bodies. Anybody know why they won't fit the '73? I thought the engine bays were pretty much the same. Is the steering linkage that much different?

The 5116 and 5901 1-5/8" primary sets both say 67-76 A body.

Thanks! wave
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Hooker headers question... - 07/03/15 03:26 PM

Sorry, I can't help on the fit question, but I do have an opinion on their coatings.

Over the years, I have mostly ran Hookers on my cars. Are you looking at their coated headers and looking for longevity? My last 2 sets of coated Hookers have had the coating start flaking and rust popping through under the car around the collectors and the tubes. I am very unhappy about it.

The headers are 6 to 8 years old and on cars that probably see 1,000 miles a year or so. When I replace them, I guess I will try the TTIs and see if their coating lasts any longer.

Just a heads up if it matters.

Dave
Posted By: dvw

Re: Hooker headers question... - 07/03/15 04:32 PM

The difference is the motor mounts. 73 has spool type mounts. The frame brackets are slightly larger. They may still fit. I'm sure someone has tried it.
Doug
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Hooker headers question... - 07/03/15 05:09 PM

Dave, I never do the coating stuff, but thanks for the heads-up.

Thank you too Doug, I forgot about the forks/mounts taking up more space.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Hooker headers question... - 07/04/15 09:36 PM

Not sure if it mathers but one thing that may be an isue with the 73 up cars is the swaybar location. just from eyeballing my car and a set of the 5204 hookers they seem to want to occupy the same space where the #1 tube passes thru the kframe.
© 2024 Moparts Forums