Moparts

No Leak Thermostat Housing

Posted By: a12rag

No Leak Thermostat Housing - 06/30/15 04:51 PM

I know it has been talked about before . . . just thought I would give a shout out to "Terry's Auto "Lab" for his no leak t-stat housing !!!

For myself, no matter a big block or small block, I have always had some sort of seepage or leakage from the factory t-stat housing . . . his unit takes all the guess work and silicone sealant, etc out of the installation ! Sure it is a bit pricey, but not having a streak from the t-stat housing on a nice clean painted engine, is way worth it !!

One note, insure you have a "smaller diameter" 80's up thermostat !! For me, it certainly is worth the expense !!!

http://www.terrysautolab.com/

Mark
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 06/30/15 05:32 PM

for a no leak housing my vote is the NAPA cast iron unit. not chrome obviously but just a FYI

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 06/30/15 07:16 PM

You still need to futz around with a gasket . . . O ring seals with the unit from Terry's . . .no gasket required !! I have a cast iron unit on my 74 Duster360, and it has ever so slight seepage happen over all these years . . . no matter how clean I get surfaces and level and slight bit of silicone. I like O rings . . .
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 06/30/15 09:22 PM

Use cast iron and let silicone set up for at least 6 hours and do not do work on humid or day cooler then 60*
Posted By: ProSport

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 06/30/15 09:49 PM

That's a nice waterneck but kinda pricey, I tried 3 different ones with leaks, finally bought the $34 billet aluminum one from Mancini, no gasket, just some gray RTV, no leaks!

http://www.manciniracing.com/mabialwane.html

If you buy from Napa make sure it has a lip on it to keep the hose on, mine didn't so I took it back.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/01/15 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
for a no leak housing my vote is the NAPA cast iron unit. not chrome obviously but just a FYI

Napa worked great for me too..
Posted By: TJP

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/01/15 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By AARCONV
Originally Posted By RapidRobert

Napa worked great for me too..

X3 twocents
Posted By: ProSport

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/01/15 03:22 AM

You guys with the Napa waternecks, did it have the lip at the top to help hold the hose on? My new one did not a couple months ago, no way I'd run it like that.
Posted By: dynorad

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/07/15 09:20 PM

I've got a NAPA aluminum neck, works great. The flange is much thicker than stock, has the hose barb.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/07/15 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By a12rag
I know it has been talked about before . . . just thought I would give a shout out to "Terry's Auto "Lab" for his no leak t-stat housing !!!

For myself, no matter a big block or small block, I have always had some sort of seepage or leakage from the factory t-stat housing . . . his unit takes all the guess work and silicone sealant, etc out of the installation ! Sure it is a bit pricey, but not having a streak from the t-stat housing on a nice clean painted engine, is way worth it !!

One note, insure you have a "smaller diameter" 80's up thermostat !! For me, it certainly is worth the expense !!!

http://www.terrysautolab.com/

Mark

I put one of these on my Barracuda and it worked great. The iron ones are ok, but this one is the best!
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/08/15 01:58 AM

Don't mate iron and aluminum together. My steel o-ring housing warped and corroded on my aluminum pump after 5 yrs.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/08/15 09:20 PM

I have a Terry's Auto Lab T/stat housing on my Duster, have had it on there for almost 3 years now...not a single problem with it!
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/11/15 12:33 PM

I tried ordering the NAPA cast housing version. They ordered it twice, both came in two different versions than the pictured one on the website, (which is the one I wanted)! Neither one would work so ordered this aluminum one off e-bag from Crankshaft Depot. No leaks, got it on one day!

Look under 440 thermostat housing

Jim
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/11/15 04:26 PM

I had this problem also. I always used the Napa housings, but when I ordered one a week ago it appears they have changed venders. The one I got has a boss on it for nipple and didn't have a thick flange. To bad as they were cheap and nicely made.
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/11/15 04:42 PM

Nice piece

It's 1/4 the price I paid for my car.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/11/15 05:26 PM

Here is my no leak,not a drop in 23 yrs ! shruggy

Attached picture P4230321.JPG
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/12/15 05:19 AM

Got real tired of housing leaks and trying different sealants. I've had three different race cars with the Billet Specialties housings. They use O-rings and have a nice thick base. No sealant, no leaks and no cleanup when removed. Yes they're a little pricey but no more aggravation is worth something to me.

Attached picture Billet.jpg

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/14/15 06:25 PM

Great to see that people are figuring out what works for them !!! For myself, on a car I try to drive 5-8k miles per year, Terry's was the choice for me !
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: No Leak Thermostat Housing - 07/14/15 06:54 PM

Shame someone can't make one that looks stock
© 2024 Moparts Forums